ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Albums to Define Your Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

It’s Week 9 here at OSU, which means summer is right around the corner, and summer means hot drives with the windows down, beach bonfires, and maybe some craft days in the sun – none of which would be complete without the perfect soundtrack. Here are a few albums to get you ready for the summer!

1. Of Monsters and Men – Beneath the Skin

Expected: June 09

There’s no need to deny that it’s been an agonizing three years since Of Monsters and Men’s debut, My Head is an Animal, in 2012. Their new single, “Crystals,” is more lively and emotional than ever. With their commanding drum lines and Nanna Hilmarsdóttir’s spirited voice, Beneath the Skin is already taking over this summer.

2. Florence + the Machine – How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

Expected: June 02

From her glorious red hair to her powerful voice, everything about Florence Welch is regal. The first single, “What Kind of Man,” lets us know just how explosive her upcoming album will be. I know I’ll be spending all summer trying to match that booming voice (mostly in my car, but hey, everyone knows traffic is the best audience).

3. George FitzGerald – Fading Love

Released: April 24

Fading Love has been out for almost a month, and I can’t stop listening to it. If you’re a fan of Disclosure, you’re sure to love this album! George FitzGerald is a producer hailing from London whose music falls somewhere in the house/deep house realm of sound that pairs perfectly with night drives or an after hours chill sesh.

4. Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit

Released: March 23

This Australian girl’s debut album is so conversational it’s almost funny. Her stories are entertaining and match perfectly with the casual guitar riffs that surprise you when they cut deeper. It’s the album you’ll want to listen to on a lazy day in the sun.

5. Jamie xx – In Colour

Expected: June 02

Don’t get too excited, The xx isn’t making their return just yet. But Jamie xx, known for his beats and remixes, is releasing this side project that’ll make more than just waves. Two of his tracks feature Romy, one of the voices for The xx. Close enough, right? Wrong. The sound is entirely different and we can’t wait to hear it!

Let us know what music you’re most excited about for this summer!