13 Thoughts Every Californian Has Upon Moving to Corvallis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

It’s nearing the end of my third year here at Oregon State, which means I can’t stop looking ahead to summer adventures. But it also means looking back at all the time I’ve spent here, and a big part of that was getting over the shock of freshman year. Coming from the Bay Area, the differences between that and small-town life were pretty drastic. From the camouflage fashion trend to the food (or lack thereof), some things took a lot of getting used to! Here are just a few things that went through my head during my first year in Corvallis.

1. Since when is hunting camo part of everyday attire?

2. What is this mist? This isn’t rain!

3. I’m so pale it looks like I never go outside… No wonder there are more tanning salons than clothing stores here…

4. This is what you call good Mexican food?!

5. All right, what do I have to do to get an In-N-Out up here….

6. Who is Freddie? Where’s the Target? What do you mean there’s no mall?!

7. If I were in California, the speed limit on this street would be at least 45…

8. *At a stop sign* What are you waiting for?! Go!

9. When will these people learn that eventually I won’t stop for them when they jump in front of my car?

10. Never thought I would be this into hard cider …

11. Thank God I already own a ton of black and orange!

During your freshman year, what were your most shocking moments? Let us know in the comments!