13 Random Thoughts About Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

If you’re anything like myself, once you sat down and started watching the Gilmore Girls revival series you couldn’t look away. It was like a car crash: you couldn’t look away from it no matter how hard you tried. Here are a few of the thoughts I had while watching the series.

–SPOILERS AHEAD–

1. Rory has become nothing more than a stereotype of millennials

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think they should have made Rory’s professional and personal life all rainbows and butterflies. It is hard to succeed as a recent college graduate and there are lots of issues we have to deal with that our parents never even had to consider when they were applying for jobs. That said, instead of the writers showing us the struggle, heartache, and unpaid internships, we got another lazy, millennial stereotype from someone clearly not of our generation. There is not one person I know that would go to an interview without their resume, a list of prepared ideas, and plenty of enthusiasm. It doesn’t matter if you’re applying at Starbucks or at Vogue, the kind of attitude Rory shows and the entitlement she exhibits are not how many of us were raised. The most difficult thing for me however is that Rory was raised to believe she could do no wrong. Her family rarely disciplines her or deals with conflict in an appropriate manner. As a result, even when she does mess up somehow she goes back to being a golden girl a few episodes later. She is also extremely spoiled as her grandparents give her anything she wants and she is able to not only go to a private school but an ivy league college.  What I’m trying to say is that I can see where the writers could draw inspiration to create this exaggerated persona for Rory but it just seems like the hardworking student she used to be wouldn’t have become this woman despite some of her family’s dubious parenting skills. That said, I can see it from both sides and that’s what has me left feeling so confused. I’m upset that such a sweeping generalization is used and is the recurring joke of the 30 something crew. This whole thing leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth and I’m not the only one.

2. I’m not entirely surprised about Rory’s self-made destruction

As I said above, looking back and watching old episodes I’ve realized though I don’t completely agree with the generalization of millennials that the revival series seems to rely on, I do think Rory’s privileged upbringing seems to be the reasoning behind the personality shift. Rory’s association with Logan and his friends, their reckless spending and behavior was the beginning of the end of her seemingly perfect persona. She went from being hardworking and resolute in her beliefs to someone who stayed with someone who cheated (though this one is tricky as she also cheated with Dean previously and he was married) and even ended up having to do court mandated community service. Rory was always held up as a golden child and that’s what much of the original series revolved around. I’m not going to lie, I liked the premise and the fact that Rory and her mother both seemed to rise up from nearly nothing but once the elder Gilmores enter back into their lives that all goes downhill. They shower her with gifts and never-ending praise due to their not being able to have a perfect child in Lorelai or so they seem to believe. Of course they love both women but it’s clear whose time and opinions they value more. This leads to Rory seeking out friends like Logan who come from incredible privilege and aren’t afraid to flaunt it. Logan and his friends too are never held accountable for their actions and simply seem to float along. They insult and put down their families while reaping the riches of what they have done for them. Though I can now see the signs that have led to this completely unaware and entitled Rory I can’t say I’m not disappointed it had to be like this.

3. Emily’s feminist transformation was a welcome surprise

It was amazing to see Emily (who has never been a shrinking violet mind you) address her fellow members of the DAR and call out their hypocrisy and the silliness of bullying disguised as formalities. She realizes discovering who she is without Richard and what she wants out of the rest of her life is so much more important than maintaining some sort of social status. She even up and sells her house to live by the water with her maid’s family and her new boyfriend. I thought her transformation and decision to become more than just Mrs. Richard Gilmore while still honoring her husband and his wishes was incredibly powerful. I think it was also great to see her take on a job in Nantucket acting as a lively guide at a nautical museum. Though the revival made me really hate some characters I absolutely gained newfound respect for Emily though her transformation and honesty.

4. Paris has become the parent and woman she once despised 

In the original series Paris hates her parents and the fact that she is largely brought up by her nanny. She vows she would never do that to her children often. She does speak of a career in the medical field which is obviously where she does end up but the revival completely ignores her upbringing to do so. It seems the story has taken all the more raw and emotional parts of the show where Paris dealt with her parents’ divorce and coldness towards her and thrown them out the window. Once again it seems the revival is relying on the crazy Paris stereotype where everything must be controlled. There is so much more to Paris and we often saw that in the original series but that is quickly ripped away from us in the revival. I can’t stand for this new version of Paris. If the point was to show us that we all become our parents or that Paris values materialism over sticking to her ideals then fine but it doesn’t feel like these things were even briefly thought about.

5. I no longer idolize Luke and Lorelai’s relationship

Now don’t get me wrong I realized even in the original series that Luke and Lorelai have never had the perfect relationship. They’ve lied to each other, dated other people, and they’ve had their ups and downs. That said, I always saw them getting back together and always felt they were right for each other. The revival has made me think twice about this position that’s for sure. Luke and Lorelai have a big fight where they both realize they are largely leading separate lives. They love each other but they don’t seem to interact with each other’s families outside of their children. I always had an issue with this with the original series and I’m honestly shocked that it’s become an issue that they have let continue. Then the really messed up thing is instead of either of them laying out how they will become more involved in each other’s lives and circles they simply decide to get married. It really confused me that a couple obviously dealing with such a large issue swept it under the rug and decided marriage was the best fix. I’m hoping I’m wrong and that another season will bring me more closure with their relationship but I can’t truly feel ok with Luke and Lorelai’s marriage until they actually talk. If I’m being honest, they didn’t seem like they were really connecting almost all of the season leading up to their wedding so I’m feeling once again quite let down and confused.

6. I no longer find Lolerai’s behavior towards her mother quite as funny

I love my mom and respect her so much. That’s why I was glad when Lorelai later called her mom and told her a genuine story of her favorite moment with her dad before he died. That said, I don’t know why she couldn’t have done that originally. I get it she’s the funny one with all the jokes. I always loved that about her but it can get extremely grating. Sometimes it absolutely is hilarious but most of the time she is just being rude and doesn’t seem to even try to see her mom’s side of the story. Lorelai also didn’t take their therapy sessions seriously when they could have been entirely helpful to a family that has more bad than good moments oftentimes.

7. I’m disappointed that some characters weren’t more prominently featured

There are many awesome cameos in the revival series including the hosts of the Gilmore Guys podcast, Rachel Ray, Mae Whitman, and a score of Bunheads stars. That said, many of our favorite main characters from the original show are hardly there. Sookie, once beloved chef and co-owner of the Dragonfly Inn with Lorelai due to scheduling issues is only seen in the show very briefly to take a sabbatical and conduct research. This is extremely disappointing as she was such a large part of Lorelai’s life and helped guide her in times of stress (which she could have used this season by the way) and it makes no sense as she is a co-owner of the Dragonfly Inn and was always so passionate in seeing it succeed. We also barely see Jess and Dean though this is slightly more understandable as she no longer has a romantic relationship with either of them but it is definitely still a bummer.

8. I hate Logan and his spoiled friends even more

In season five of the original series Rory joins the Life and Death Brigade (LaDB), a secret society at Yale and begins dating Logan Huntzberger. Already I could see Rory becoming all that she said she never would. She steals a yacht and only receives 300 hours of community service and becomes estranged from her mom after that and other mistaken life choices. She does find her way again towards the end of the original series but then the revival decides that their return to her life is needed. They whisk her away to a bar where they party to excess and evidently one of Logan’s friends buys a bar and other exponentially expensive items. This is all supposed to be viewed in a whimsical light as just kids having fun but they are far past kids and the fact that these were the same “kids” in college that once mocked their parents who are still paying for them regardless is not just disgusting but is a sense of privilege I just can’t understand.

9. The fact that Rory’s loved ones coddle her so greatly seems like a sick inside joke

Logan offers her a house as does her grandmother simply for sitting around. Her mother instead of questioning her actions (though she does do this briefly she later retracts it) in her personal and professional life simply lets her wallow and do nothing. She flounces around in New York while her daughter is busy falling asleep and not working on her story for The New York Times that she was passionate about shortly before. There are so many more instances throughout the show but honestly I can’t believe how ludicrous the coddling of Rory is.

10. The show both pokes fun at its lack of diversity while not working to improve it

It’s no secret that Gilmore Girls has an extreme lack of representation. Many men and women of color on the show have non-speaking roles and jokingly when a Gay Pride Parade is suggested the town’s mayor states, “There just aren’t enough gays in Stars Hollow.” If you’d like to see a full list of black characters your first place to look should be Gilmore Blacks, a tumblr account dedicated to their mission statement which they say is allowing “the black actors of Gilmore Girls [rarely get] to speak.” Trust me when I say many black characters have one word lines or none at all and often are only seen from a distance. This is unacceptable. Gay Pride Parades are not only just for those who are out first of all and who’s to say couples in the town don’t identify as bisexual or queer as well. Also the assumptions about the LGBT+ community such as every single gay person liking antique shops and cute houses is absurd. The revival is making it harder and harder for me to enjoy even the original show because of it’s own realizations about itself. The self-reflection has been beyond illuminating.

11. The whole series seems like an overly dramatized buildup for another season

Everything from the last four words to the absurdity of the entire season seems to be building up to another season. That said I don’t know if anyone will be watching. I may out of the corners of my eyes but this show is no longer one I can easily enjoy as I did in the past. It may just rank up there for me with the How I Met Your Mother finale.

12. I’m disappointed by the sexism and body shaming the series subtly includes

In the opening scene of the Summer episode we see Lorelai and Rory sitting by the pool and paying young boys to fan them and bring them drinks. It’s meant to be funny and silly quite clearly, however then they start speaking and (pardon my french) it all goes to sh*t. When Pat and other residents walk past them they not so subtly announce, “Belly Alert” and make sounds of distress and disgust while stating their discomfort in being there. They state they don’t like being there and that those showing off their bodies if they are larger make them feel uncomfortable even though they choose to come to the pool day after day. These are people they see on a daily basis and seem to respect in other circumstances however they somehow think it’s acceptable to act rudely towards them in a different space. Clearly these residents with bellies feel proud and positively about their bodies so why should the Gilmore Girls care. They shouldn’t. This scene really threw me for a loop as it seems to be so far off from the kind and light behavior the women have in the original series. If the revival is continued I’m not sure I can keep watching if this keeps happening.

13. I can’t decide whether Amy Sherman-Palladino did this all on purpose or not

Many people like myself feel like all the choices made by the characters this season didn’t seem entirely true to character. That said, show creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and her writer-director husband Daniel weren’t involved in the last season. So was the darker turn to the show an act of revenge or is this how she originally intended for the show to end?

How did you like the revival series? Love it? Hate it? Somewhere in between? Comment below with your thoughts we’d love to hear from you!

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.