This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Biking on campus can be an efficient mode of transportation but also a very dangerous task. There is always the possibility that you’ll get into an accident or that your bike might be stolen. To avoid these worst case scenarios, there are a few things you can do to be a safer bicyclist.

1.Make sure your bike has lights for being seen at night by other bicyclists and motorists.

The brighter the better! Have fun with it and get some cool wheel lights. 

2. Always stop (or at least pause) at stop signs on campus.

Campus police will pull you over and you will feel embarrassed. 

3. If you wear headphones make sure you are looking around so you don’t miss things going on around you.

But please, don’t let it dampen your jam session. 

4. Be aware of construction going on around campus.

Your usual route may be blocked depending on the project.

5. Buy a U-Lock.

It’s been proven to be the most effective in preventing the theft of your bicycle as compared to cables or other types of locks.

6. If you have bike bags make sure they are also secured to your bike with some type of lock.

7. Don’t bike on sidewalks unless you are going slow or the path is completely clear.

Otherwise you run the risk of hitting someone.

8. Always stop at stoplights.

This one seems like a no-brainer to me but I have seen bikers multiple times think they don’t have to follow the rules of the road and this could result in extreme bodily injury for yourself or others.

9. Be wary of skateboarders and people walking in the bike lane.

It is a lot easier for them to fall off of their boards or trip and you want to be careful to not make a bad situation worse.

10. Always watch the crosswalks.

Especially after 11 am on campus. There are so many people, it’s a steady flow that doesn’t stop.. Even if you’ve already looked when trying to cross, you should continue looking because some pedestrians won’t even look up for a second from their phones.

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.

-Albert Einstein

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly. 
Katherine Borchers is a Junior at Oregon State University and is majoring in Digital Communication Arts. She is involved on campus with Res Life and So Worth Loving at Oregon State. You can find her procrastinating real life responsibilities, drinking coffee, and procrastinating some more. When she procrastinates, she loves to sing loudly (not well, either), read books, and do artsy-fartsy stuff.