10 Mom’s You’ll See on Mom’s Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

If you’ve been at Oregon State for more than a year, or any university for that matter, you probably already know that Mom’s Weekend is a spectacle of unimaginable proportions. Every type of mom descends upon campus and the stories, rumours, and nagging runs rampant. I’m sure you’ve seen a mom or two on this weekend that shocks you to your very core with her actions. If you’re a freshman, we’ve got the lowdown for you on all the types of moms you may encounter on Mom’s Weekend because there are no cookie-cutter moms around here.

1. The mom who will excitedly drag you to every Mom’s weekend event.

This is the mom who hasn’t seen her kid in months and plans to cram every possible activity into a span of three days. Good luck to those with this mom because there will be no time for naps, Netflix, or homework. Only together time, which will become less exciting by the last day, but hey thankfully it’s only a weekend.

2. The sweater vest and mom jean wearing uber-friendly mom.

This is your stereotypical mom figure. She isn’t interested in acting younger than she is, enjoys embarrassing you for fun, cleans your entire apartment when she’s over you, and is confident in who she is.

3. The mom being shuttled around by her kid to pay for groceries.

This is the mom with the kid who has put off doing errands and grocery shopping to do them all with her. Though your mom is probably willing to do these things, don’t forget to fit in some fun activities as well… for her sake.

4. The bar hopping mom.

This is the mom who’s ready to rage like a college student again. She can be seen buying her underage kid alcohol, dancing at Peacock all night long, or at any number of frat parties over the weekend.

5. The single mom who is a little too flirty with her daughter’s friends.

This is the mom spraying on perfume, flipping her hair around, and flirting with all the boys on her daughter’s dorm floor. She’s a little bit more than desperate and you personally don’t understand it at all.

6. The mom who dresses just like her daughter.

This is the mom in Victoria’s Secret leggings, a tracksuit, or a crop top matching her daughter. The fact is no matter how young this mom may be or appear, with this outfit she simply looks ridiculous and like she’s trying too hard.

7. The mega hippie mom.

This is the mom oohing and ahhing at all the trees on campus, collecting rocks wherever she can, and insisting your mom and you join her and her daughter on an excursion hike. This is not a rare breed in Oregon, to say the very least.

8. The helicopter mom.

This is the mom who was a total helicopter mom throughout her child’s entire life until they went off to college in a different state. Now they have to fit all their nagging and hovering into one weekend and holidays, so watch out for this mom!

9. The gym rat mom.

This is the mom that’s not about to stop exercising and staying on her strict diet because of Mom’s weekend. You’ll want to order Benny’s Donuts or take her to New Morning Bakery but really all she’ll want to do is check out Dixon with you. If this is your mom, take her to a fit pass class this weekend or maybe check out the obstacle course or 5k run! There’s lots of options to avoid the sweets and drinks around town if you really want to*. *Your mom wants to.

10. The professional tailgater mom.

This is the mom chugging beer out of her world’s best mom mug. She’s a regular pro at tailgates so the Mom’s Weekend baseball game coming up is no exception. Be sure to get tickets in advance or she may get mad at you because she could not be more pumped to show you how it’s done.

Happy Mom’s Weekend Beaver Nation!

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly. 
Katherine Borchers is a Junior at Oregon State University and is majoring in Digital Communication Arts. She is involved on campus with Res Life and So Worth Loving at Oregon State. You can find her procrastinating real life responsibilities, drinking coffee, and procrastinating some more. When she procrastinates, she loves to sing loudly (not well, either), read books, and do artsy-fartsy stuff.