stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

“Yoga with Adriene,” a Review of the 2019 “Dedicate” Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

“Yoga with Adriene” is a YouTube channel that provides access to free yoga practices guided by Adriene, an actor, writer, and international yoga instructor. Adriene does not portray herself as a professional that “knows it all,” but rather like a friend that is aiding you. Adriene’s primary focus, in addition to building your yoga “skills,” if you will (flexibility, relaxation, etc.), is that of self-care. Her personality always shines through; whether it be that she breaks out into song or exclaims “hey-yo!” when innuendos present themselves, you’re guaranteed to be personally entertained. Another bonus is that, throughout all 30 videos of “Dedicate,” her cute dog Benji makes frequent appearances. I mean, who wouldn’t melt after seeing his downward dog?

She is thoroughly committed to making her practices accessible to all, preaching, “Find What Feels Good”. Throughout the “Dedicate” yoga series Adriene maintains this position adaptability even in some poses that may strain particular individuals, inviting people to let go of their instinct to try to perfect the poses and instead do what you can. While there are moments of struggle with a few forearm planks and crunches, it these moves should not come at the expense of your physical wellbeing. The practices are not meant to make you cry in pain, but rather it is a gentle way to build up strength and resilience against the panic that many experiences when challenging their bodies. Each of the “Dedicate” practices challenges all participants in seeking out grace in the face of adversity.

For those individuals that perceive yoga solely as a way to get a slim stomach or nice butt are asked to think of yoga as an investment in their health. For example, by building up your core you are creating a better support system for your back. While physical goals are not inherently bad, it is harmful to think of your body strictly in terms of appearance as it can often lead to physical harm in terms of extreme exertion, but also in terms of self-esteem, etc.. Adriene promises that with time and care, each viewer with see differences regardless of the pace or intensity based on simply the daily commitment of tending to the body.

I have been practicing through YWA videos for a year now, and I’ve been through one of her annual month-long video series, prior to “Dedicate,” called “True.” The main difference I noted between the two has been the emphasis on caring for your body. Throughout the practices I found myself massaging my body, breathing deeper, not stressing on getting into the positions shown in magazines, but rather listening to my body and what it needed from day to day. If my back hurt, I would be more careful in positions that would strain it further. I would also massage it with “rocking and rolling” from my back to tabletop positions. Adriene accepts that everyone’s energy is going to differ from practice to practice and invites you to lower your knee during a twist or leave your toe on the ground during balancing postures if it works better for you to do so. Having access to such personalized guidance helps improve the individual comfort and ease of any particular viewer, making it easier to continue and commit to the 30 days.

I currently do yoga in the morning as part of my “waking up” routine, and “Dedicate” has helped me better prepare for the day by guiding me to a place of self-awareness. I became more aware of my posture when sitting class, how I breathe, how I hold and carry myself. I have come to realize the value in listening to myself and my day to day changes. I find my energy is higher than in the past due to my attention towards the line of my spine and how my posture can affect both my breath and energy flows. I have a history of body image issues, but throughout this journey, I have learned how to be thankful for the body I have. I will only ever have this body; we all put our bodies through a lot of stress, tending to it with a daily physical practice can only better it.

The program starts off more gradually as to help build the confidence of viewers on the mat, as well as to better equip them with necessary vocabulary. Yoga with Adriene is a YouTube channel that stresses being available for all experience levels. Regardless of if you are a first-time yogi or a master of the mat, there is something to learn in this series. Whether it be techniques geared towards building up an individual’s arm strength for an arm stand or how to get the most out of your warrior two, Adriene has something for everyone.

Overall the experience was worth the time and patience. Some days were more demanding than others, but Adriene is there every day to congratulate you for getting on the mat and aids you through any doubts you may have. There is a beautiful coupling between balancing, stretching, and strengthening and breathing techniques that people can use for their own practices in the future. If you are thinking about picking up a yoga practice or want to establish a home routine and are in need of finding somewhere to start I would absolutely recommend Yoga With Adriene’s “Dedicate” (a link to the series is attached below).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLui6Eyny-UzzkcCfrpXcgUS0wfEGA-kej

HCXO,

Ciera

Ciera Baker

Oneonta '20

hey! im ciera and im majoring in international studies! im in love with writing and dogs.