What I Wish I Knew In High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

There’s no doubt that when you look back at high school, you think of it as a time in your life filled with memories and nostalgia. But for some people it could also be filled with some regrets. Life is always funny in retrospect because there’s always a lesson to be learned. Here’s a college sophomore’s ode to what I wish I knew in high school:

Forget the people who treated you badly.

There will be new ones in the times ahead of you. Believe me, that boy who cheated on you in high school doesn’t even have a place in your thoughts in the future; don’t sweat it.

You should wear that outrageous skirt you bought.

In high school it was so easy to say to yourself “I’m going to be made fun of for wearing this so I won’t.” Everything was precisely calculated. Learn to not care what people think, and focus more on what you want. I know I definitely regret spending over $100 on the UGG boot trend.

Your friends are your soulmates.

Remember that you always have time to find someone to spend the rest of your life with. Your time right now should be dedicated to making your friends be your soulmates. Go home to laugh with them, go out to dinner with them, know everything there is to know about them. Most of all, make memories. This is the time in your life that is dedicated to living with your friends and loving them. It took me a long time to realize this is the time in my life to give my friends attention, not that boy that will be gone by the morning.

“I can’t walk down that hallway, that’s the senior hallway and I’m a freshman.”

I wish I ignored the ever-intimidating hierarchy line of high school. Everyone was once where you were; ignore the people who try to intimidate you because of their social status/age. Even when you’re a senior you think you’re on top of the world, when in reality you are just at the beginning…welcome to being a freshman again in a few months.

Join clubs.

Clubs in high school to me were for the overachievers. In college people genuinely join clubs because they are interested in them. Join clubs in high school for enjoyment, not because you feel like you need to for a college application.

Try harder in school.

Let’s be honest, to get by in high school with B’s normally didn’t even consist of studying or cracking open a book. In college, everything requires studying. When you didn’t spend time studying in high school, you really don’t know any study techniques; which in return makes your first semester in college a huge wake up call.

Appreciate your mom packing your lunch more.

Man, I wish my mom were here to make me food now…and do my laundry.

Speak up more.

High school cliques are the absolute worst thing about high school. They demean people and make them become insecure about who they are. The second you get to college, being that popular kid won’t matter to you or anyone whatsoever. Be who you want to be and never change based off of someone else’s opinion of who you should be.

Take advantage of having a job.

In college, most students don’t have time or a car for a job, hence the “broke college student” stereotype. Definitely save up some money for a college-spending fund. I wouldn’t know about one, I’ve been living off of $50 for two semesters now.

You will find someone better for you than that dreamy popular boy everyone loved.

Going to a college with over 6,000 people enrolled you WILL find many, many, many dreamy boys to love and always remember your dad can spot a no-good boy from a mile away.

The rules your parents have on you now aren’t forever.

Once you get to college, you can be out at 3AM and your parents will never know. Don’t stress about your parents rules now, they will be lifted when you live on your own.

You don’t have to go or be invited to that party to be “cool.”

High school parties usually make an image for a person (whether good or bad). Many people think if they go to those parties they will seem cool or be well known. Forget about it. Parties don’t make a person who they are, a person’s personality and morals do. Parties don’t show your worth. Don’t sweat it if you don’t get invited or don’t want to go, hang out with your friends and have your own party.

Break the rules every once in awhile

Skipping school to go to Free Pancake Day at IHOP should be an immediate yes. You wont be able to be with your best friends in high school a lot in college, make memories now that last a lifetime.

Subtweeting someone on Facebook or any social media doesn’t make you powerful.

It actually makes you immature. Don’t hide behind a screen, if you disagree with someone sit them down and talk to them rationally and calmly in person.

All in all, high school is a time in everyone’s lives where finding who you are and who you want to be can sometimes be foggy and uncertain. Don’t miss out on things you will never get in your life again. Go to that basketball or football game cheering on your team, dance crazy at prom, have fun at your school’s pep rally and most of all, know that when you throw your cap at graduation signifying your completion of high school, that it’s just the beginning of all the great things you will do with your life.

“It’s the oldest story in the world, one day you’re seventeen and planning for someday, and then quietly, without you ever really noticing, someday is today, and that someday is yesterday, and this is your life.”– One Tree Hill

Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).