This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Facing Our Risk Of Cancer Empowered is an organization dedicated to researching cures, raising awareness, and offering information and support to the public about hereditary breast and ovarian cancers.

HerCampus teamed up with Pi Delta Chi sorority to raise awareness of Pi Delta Chi’s Second Annual Walk for FORCE on February 18. Knowing how we can FORCE out cancer is something we should all be aware of, and here is how!

1. Know the facts.

2. Know your family history.

A woman’s risk of breast cancer nearly doubles if she has a close relative who has had breast cancer. Knowing you may be at a higher risk means you can take steps to ensure you’re healthy.

3. Get tested.

The American Cancer Society recommends women ages 45-54 be screened for breast cancer annually. Women who have a personal or family history of ovarian cancer should also be tested.

4. Support!

Stay aware of local organizations or events in your area that are raising support or funds. College campuses offer tons of different options to join the fight, like Oneonta Fights Cancer. If someone you know is currently fighting you can also be part of their personal support system.

HCXO, Keri

My name is Keri Johnson and I am a senior communications studies major at SUNY Oneonta. I'm origianly from Long Island and love hiking, reading, and meeting new people. As a sorority girl, coffee addict, and seasonal camp coordinator I make sure to stay busy, but always find time for my friends and my dog!
Shea Murphy

Oneonta '19

Shea is one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC Oneonta Chapter! Shea is a senior studying Biochemistry at Oneonta. She is a self-proclaimed photographer and loves spending time with her friends and family. When she's not in the lab or studying you can find her outside staying active and enjoying nature!