rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Do you suffer from anxiety daily? Anxiety disorders are very common and can be hard to cope with. Even completing simple tasks can become a challenge. Here are some tips to help battle obsessive thoughts:

I have suffered with anxiety, as have many of you reading this I’m sure. These destructive thoughts can come at any time, for no rhyme or reason. Tasks that most find relatively painless can be hard to conquer for those suffering with anxiety. One task can even take twice as long as normal. As someone who knows how hard it can be to ignore anxious thoughts, I want to provide some tips to try and help others fighting the same battle.

Get enough sleep

Be productive during the day so you can hit the hay a little earlier at night. Your body needs time to relax and reset for the next day. I know, we’re college students–all-nighters are not uncommon. But staying up all night doesn’t allow your mind to shut off and refocus. I promise you, sleep will help decrease anxiety levels during the day and make you feel better in general.

Make time during the day to relax and do something you enjoy

Homework and college responsibilities can wear anyone out quickly, but especially those with anxiety. Make breaks for yourself throughout the day to do something that makes you happy for 30 minutes. This can refresh your mind and make you more focused on your upcoming tasks. Whether this is watching Netflix, reading a book or even coloring, try and take time out of your busy schedule to take care of your mental health.

Make a list of what you need to complete each day

Homework can add to anxiety very quickly. There is so much that needs to be done by a certain time, causing endless thoughts to keep going through your head to make sure you accomplished everything. Laying in bed at night wide awake replaying your to-do list is exhausting and unnecessary, but sometimes you can’t help it. I like to make a list each day of what I need to get done, and cross off the list as I finish. The feeling of crossing off a task feels productive and satisfying, allowing you to visually see that you completed a goal.

With anxiety, some days are better than others. I hope that these tips can help make those challenging days more bearable. I know how hard it can be to deal with anxiety in college, and I hope the conversation to help those with the same issue stays alive. Mental health is so important, and we each need to take care of ourselves. Remember to stay positive and enjoy the time of life you are in. Anxiety can be overcome and battled, and make you a stronger person in the end.

HCXO,

Emily

Hey! I’m Emily and I am a senior Communications major at SUNY Oneonta! I love to play flute and tennis, and be with my family and friends! I can’t wait to write more articles this semester, and share them with everyone! 
Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!