Two Is Better Than One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

We all know that staying in shape and making friends in college can be difficult. With all of the running around to classes, late nights, and unhealthy food options, the feared freshman 15 is definitely a possibility. Plus, with all the endless papers and projects, it may seem difficult to get to know people. So why not be a part of something enjoyable that can boost your social life while giving your appearance a makeover? This week’s double feature campus celebs Olivia and Hayley give us the inside scoop on this exciting club sport on campus!

Name: Olivia Brown

Hometown: Syracuse, New York

Year in College: Senior

Major: Gerontology

Name: Hayley Mattice

Hometown: Guilderland, New York

Year in College: Junior

Major: Spanish and Biology

HC: How are you involved on campus?

HM: “I am the Vice President of Colleges Against Cancer, I work at the phonathon which raises money for the Oneonta fund and I am a captain of the Ultimate Frisbee team.”

OB: “I am the captain of the Ultimate Frisbee team, that’s pretty much it.”

HC: Can you tell us about SUNY Oneonta’s Ultimate Frisbee team?

OB: “We are one collective club of men and women. We are a club sport that travels around the tristate area competing against other Division 3 schools. In the past, our women’s team has made it to D3 nationals which is very exciting. We are a very competitive team. We are fun and involved in the community through community service also.”

HC: What do you like the most about being a captain?

OB: “I like the skills that it has taught me because it is really important to figure out how to be a leader. Especially to be a role model to you friends. I think being a captain has made me better now as a player and as a person. I feel a lot of responsibility for what happens to the girls on the team. Especially the freshmen and the new players on the team. To get the used to the campus, the game and the team. Putting them in a good spot for the super fun and exciting team. It’s a great way to get involved and I’m glad that we have that impact on newcomers.”

HM: “I like that it forces you to step up and be the best example for the team that you can be. And also you are the leader and the mediator for the girls on the team. I like that I have the opportunity to lead such an amazing group of girls and I get the chance to show them how awesome this sport is. As a captain we get to watch all of our teammates progress and learn and grow as players and it’s so rewarding to see.”

In the photo is most of the active members of the girls in SUNY Oneonta’s Ultimate Frisbee team known as “Love Seat”.

HC: What plans do you have for the team?

HM: “Our biggest plan is to go to Nationals 2016 in the spring and that is what all of our work in the winter and in the spring season is going towards. We will not settle for anything less.”

OB: “I mostly want this team to stay focussed. Nationals 2016 is definitely our main goal but I think that if we continue to improve as a team every year, then that is a great goal to have as well. I think that our team has more than enough potential to keep getting better and better.”

HC: Do you have any advice for people who want to play Ultimate Frisbee?

OB: “Don’t be afraid to come out. You do not have to have any prior experience or knowledge of the sport. You don’t even have to know how to throw a frisbee. I find our team to be super approachable, kind and fun. Especially if you were and athlete in high school and you’re not able to play at the collegiate level, this is a really great thing to be apart of.”

HM: “I agree. If anything, just try it. Absolutely come to practice and throw a frisbee around. Everyone begins at one level and there is so much potential for you to improve. We are such a welcoming team that anyone can come. I don’t think there has ever been a person who has joined and decided that ultimate wasn’t for them because we accept everyone.”

Kathryn Fernandez is currently a junior at SUNY Oneonta. She is dual majoring in Music Industry and Mass Communications with a media concentration. Besides being an orientation leader for the school and the public relations chair for SUNY Oneonta's Ultimate Frisbee team, she is also a photographer, toast eater, book lover, inspired artist, and tea drinker. She's very excited to be a Chapter Advisor and a writer for the Her Campus community. Click on any of the links below to read Kathryn's articles. And If you would like to know more about her, check out her Twitter and Instagram @Kat8996.
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).