bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Top 7 Reasons Everyone Could Use a Hug

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

1. Hugs Reduce Stress

Scientists say that giving another person support through touch can reduce the stress of the person being comforted. It can even reduce the stress of the person doing the comforting.

2. Hugs Boost Self-Esteem

We usually receive hugs from loved ones and have for a very long time. Hugs bring us back to our “happy” place no matter what age. The association of self-worth is directly connected to tactile sensations which are embedded into our nervous systems from childhood.

3. Hugs may prevent against illness

In a study of over 400 adults, researchers found that hugging may reduce the chance a person will get sick. The participants with a greater support system were less likely to get sick. And those with the greater support system who did get sick had less severe symptoms than those with little or no support system.

4. Hugs can make you happier

Oxytocin, a chemical already in our bodies, which scientists sometimes call the “cuddle hormone.” This is because its levels rise when we hug, touch, or sit close to someone. Oxytocin is associated with happiness and less stress. Scientists have found that this hormone has an even stronger effect on women. Oxytocin causes a reduction in blood pressure and of the stress hormone norepinephrine.

5. Hugs build safety

The nurturing feeling of a hug can build a safe relationship and create a trusting bond between those involved. This aids in open and honest communication.

6. Hugs teach us how to give and receive

There is a receptive warmth when you give and receive a hug. This give and take is not only essential in relationships, but in human nature as well.

7. Hugs relax us

Hugs are shown to relax the muscles in our bodies. They can release tension in the body and take away pain by soothing aches by increasing circulation into the soft tissues.

According to studies, we need four hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth. My roommate read this recently and now we all make sure to hug each other throughout the day. It shocked us, but we only really get hugs at home from our parents or siblings. The hugs I get from my friends at school really do affect my mood and make me happier.

When we go to school in a place that doesn’t see the sun, we could all use a little sunshine in our lives, and if that comes from hugs that’s okay with me.

HCXO,

Elizabeth

My name is Elizabeth Berkowitz, I am currently a junior here at Oneonta. I'm a double major in Commuincations Studies and Art with a concentration in Photography. When I'm not in Oneonta you can find me at home on Long Island, at the beach in Rockaway or with my dog.
Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!