The Top 6 Ways to Start Your Semester Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

As the spring semester starts ramping up here are a few tips to ensure that you’re prepared for a successful 15 weeks!

1. Planner

College can be overwhelming especially as the semester progresses.My planner is my SAVIOR! I would never be able to remember where I had to be and what needs to be turned in without it! Your planner will also allow you to see blocks of time when you are free, so maybe you’re able to hit the gym or get coffee and catch up with a friend. Also decorating your planner can be a lot of fun too so you can make it as personalized as you want.

2. Books and School Supplies

These serve as tools for your success in a class, so make sure you set yourself up for success by purchasing them. Yes, textbooks are expensive but there are many different websites that allow you to find great deals without breaking the bank.

3. Class Schedule

I think it goes without saying that your schedule for the upcoming semester may be one of the most important things you need. Make sure you have selected classes that are allowing you to progress towards your degree completion, but also choose something that you have an interest in.

4. Proper Mindset

If you go into the semester with a negative attitude you are most likely to get negative results. Remind yourself that it is a new semester (aka fresh start) and to work on doing your best, whatever that may be!

5. Goals

The most important thing about setting goals is to make sure that they are realistic and achievable.If you set unreasonable goals, you’ll feel like you’re failing which isn’t productive.Keep it reasonable and remember you won’t be able to achieve everything you’d like to overnight things take time.

6. Exercise Your Mental & Physical Health

Your mental and physical health is just as important as your studies.Take time out of your schedule to meditate, read your favorite book, hit the gym, or just hang out with your friends.

Shea Murphy

Oneonta '19

Shea is one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC Oneonta Chapter! Shea is a senior studying Biochemistry at Oneonta. She is a self-proclaimed photographer and loves spending time with her friends and family. When she's not in the lab or studying you can find her outside staying active and enjoying nature!