Style

The Top 5 Reasons Thrift Shopping is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.
  1. Recycling!!!- The fashion industry is one of the largest polluting industries in the world. By shopping at thrift stores, you are helping to reduce some of the waste that is produced from this industry.
  2. Almost everything is unique- When shopping in thrift stores you are likely to find one of a kind items that not many people have. You may even find pieces that are so unique and special that no one else has them.
  3. Character- every piece in a thrift store has a story.  At one time, it was worn by another person (possibly multiple people) and now it lays in yours hands waiting for you to add onto its story in your own special way.
  4. Refashioning-  Taking an old piece of clothing and making it into something new is an amazing way to amp up your wardrobe. Getting a couple of garments from a thrift store and constructing them into something new adds so much character to a person’s wardrobe and will really make them stand out.
  5. Saving money- Who doesn’t love to save money? By shopping at a thrift store, you are getting the same quality clothing at nearly a fraction of the cost. Although it may take some digging to find a piece you like in the end, saving tons of money is worth it.

HCXO, Mary Kate

Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!