This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.
Whitewashing Idols

The most common issue with following Korean groups is the constant whitewashing of idols. Some members are lightened way more than others, and boy is it annoying. Even some of the idols lighten their own skin by positioning themselves in light a certain way or editing their pictures. Even facial “imperfections” like freckles and beauty marks are altered; for example Felix, from Stray Kids naturally has freckles that JYP stylists cover with makeup.

*The example I gave is Choi Seungcheol (S.Coups) from Seventeen, because he makes me soft.

Fanwars 

Literally nothing is more annoying than supposed “fans” pitting one group against another, creating unnecessary tension. We’re all here to have a good time, and trying to create a rift in the industry isn’t helping anyone. The majority of the time the fanwars don’t even correlate with the groups’ relationships with one another! The most infamous war that mostly resides on Twitter is EXO-Ls vs Armys. It’s basically just a lot of hostility that fans create to try to prove their idols are better. It’s a never ending game–trying to tear down other groups to make one’s own group look better.

Merchandise

Absolutely nothing sucks more than being short on money to buy merchandise from your favorite groups. Or, even worse, you have the money, but every time you go to buy official merch it is sold out by the time you get there. CDs are pretty easy to get through Amazon and CD shops, but getting official light sticks? You wish. The same can be said about promotional goodies passed out in only special locations and tour merchandise (especially international fans, UGH). Also if you collect photocards that is a whole other issue between finding people to trade with or finding cards to buy off of others. Then there is a whole other issue on where and how to display your merch….

Keeping Track of Your Groups

Most idol groups have a fairly rigorous schedule if their company permits it. Between award shows, tours and miscellaneous performances, interviews and variety show involvement, social media, filmed content on their company’s YouTube channels, and a boat load of other sources, fans have a mountain of stuff to consume (IF the company puts in the work to make it happen). While other groups are neglected by their company making you anxiously wait to see at least a photo to know the members are alive and the company didn’t lock them away in the basement.

*BLACKPINK has been debuted since 2016 and literally only has 6 singles and 1 studio album, yet their pretty popular which allows the group to enjoy a semi-active schedule. (Comeback in 2019; this is not a drill!)

Fansites 

You know when you see a really cute photo of your faves in the airport or performing and you kinda forget that there are people that are stalking them to take the photos? Yeah, that’s what fansites contribute to the fandom. Several of them are problematic and make idols uncomfortable, yet fans still support their work and it is aggravating.

Despite all of the drawbacks to being a part of the K-pop fandom, there is nothing in the world that can compare. K-pop fan groups are like a big family with their own inside jokes and collective appreciation for the music their idols release. It is rewarding to meet people from nearly anywhere in the world and being able to relate to them, on some level, instantaneously.

HCXO,

Ciera Baker

Ciera Baker

Oneonta '20

hey! im ciera and im majoring in international studies! im in love with writing and dogs.
Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!