This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Imagine for a second, you’re in a situation where you’re vulnerable and incapable of saying something out of fear. How would you feel? About 1 in 3 women ages 18-24 have been sexually harassed at work. Unfortunately, 71% of those women said they did not report the harassment. The percentage of women not speaking up about their harassment may feel that they will not be listened to. Using your voice is the most important thing you can do for yourself if you’ve ever experienced sexual harassment in any way.

Recently, there have been a plethora of women in Hollywood, and women throughout the United States speaking up about their sexual harassment. The main accusation that caused a large increase in more women talking about their harassment, was the accusation of Harvey Weinstein. More than 50 women have made accusations against Weinstein. The voice of women in Hollywood is very important. These women have experienced sexual harassment just like many women throughout the world. These powerful actresses are using their publicity to get the message out there that Times Up! Actresses such as Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres, and many more, have used their popularity to their advantage. These women, among many more famous actors and actresses, attended the Grammys and the Sag Awards with messages to advocate for the Times Up movement. Women and men who are supportive of the Times Up movement wore all black to the Sag Awards and white roses to the Grammys to show support for the awareness of sexual harassment.

Rather than protesting through the streets, these women are using these well-known award shows to their advantage to increase the awareness of sexual assault. Reese Witherspoon who has been a very active member in the Times Up movement voiced inspiring words at the SAG Awards, “I want to thank everyone who broke their silence this year and spoke out about abuse and harassment. You are so brave. So, people out there who are feeling silenced by harassment, discrimination, abuse, Time’s Up! We see you, we hear you and we will tell your stories”.

Women have been silent for far too long. It is powerfully beautiful when women unite for a cause that has been silencing them for years. This is the beginning of a new era where women aren’t afraid to speak up. This is the beginning of achieving the equality we entirely and  righteously deserve. This, is just the beginning.

These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect HerCampus.

HCXO Emma Muirhead

Emma Muirhead

Oneonta '19

Senior graduating from SUNY Oneonta with a B.S. in Communication Studies. 
Shea Murphy

Oneonta '19

Shea is one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC Oneonta Chapter! Shea is a senior studying Biochemistry at Oneonta. She is a self-proclaimed photographer and loves spending time with her friends and family. When she's not in the lab or studying you can find her outside staying active and enjoying nature!