SUCO Biology Students Receive Departmental Honors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

The SUNY Oneonta Biology Department faculty honored several students for outstanding scholarship at a gathering on campus on April 4.

Michael O’Rourke of Fort Edward, New York received the Jan Kee Ang Memorial Award for his outstanding academic performance as a senior biology major. Daniel McLaren, a junior biology major from Troy, received the 2010-2011 Jan Kee Ang Scholarship.

The award and the scholarship are presented in memory of SUNY Oneonta faculty member Jan Kee Ang, who is remembered as a superb and dedicated teacher. Following his death in 1975, his colleagues endowed an award to honor outstanding biology majors. Ang’s family established the scholarship.

The 2010-2011 Biology Department Scholarship was awarded to Fei Fei Ng, a junior biology major.

Michele Daly, a December 2010 graduate from Oneonta, received the Corning Award for Excellence in Microbiology, which is supported by Corning Incorporated of Oneonta.

The John G. New Scholarship, established by alumni, colleagues, and family members in memory of the late professor of biology, went to junior Alexander Soroka of New York City and Katherine Whitcomb of Little Falls, New York, who is majoring in environmental sciences. Whitcomb also was awarded the college’s Biological Field Station 2011 summer internship.

SUNY Oneonta, which enrolls approximately 5,900 students, ranks third among “regional master’s—north” in the U.S. News and World Report rankings of “schools with a strong commitment to teaching,” sits at #47 on the Kiplinger’s magazine list of the “100 Best Values in Public Colleges” and has been recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for excellence in community engagement. Established as a state normal school in 1889 and incorporated as a founding member of the state university system in 1948, the college is well known for its outstanding faculty, strong academic programs, educational technology, community service and character-building activities, and scenic campus.

Tiina is a hard working care-free girl who likes to work, travel, and spend time with friends in her spare time. Most people call her a 'work-aholic' since she is always busy with school, an internship, and job, but when not busy with those activities, Tiina is always living life to the fullest with her friends. Being a 'chill' and laid back person, Tiina enjoys being fully active when it comes to playing and watching sports, but also enjoys just staying home and watching movies with friends. Tiina is a Communication Studies major with two minors in Advertising, which she hopes to follow in the future, and Apparel & Textiles at SUNY Oneonta.