Style

Pimp Your Old Boring Clothes Into Trendy Masterpieces!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

In high school, I would ask my mom to take me shopping. She’d say “Why you have all of these clothes, but you never wear them!”. She was right. I just grew so tired of my clothes that I would dismiss them when I was looking for something to wear. So to resolve my fashion crisis, I cut up my old tennis crew neck, added laces to the v-cut and wore it to school. I got so many compliments that I decided to start a business around it and offer the service to everyone. It got recognized really quickly and eventually I had to hire other people to help me out. I was even interviewed about it by ShesFitToLead.com, a site that empowers young career women. It’s so easy to turn an old tee shirt into something that looks high-end and trendy. Here are five easy and cheap designs that you can do to your own clothes. Grab some scissors, and watch your old tee turn into Yeezy’s $500 streetwear.

Cut It

Ever wonder why Kanye can get away with selling a shirt with a couple holes in it for hundreds of dollars? It’s because holes make everything look 10x cooler! A super cheap and easy way to renovate your wardrobe is cutting some holes into your clothes. All you need is some inspiration and some scissors.

Patch It

One of my favorite trends is patched up clothing. Sewing or gluing patches into your clothing is a super fun way to making your clothes unique and bold.

Paint It

Who doesn’t love arts and crafts?? Painting designs and/or sayings into your clothes is so fun and the result is satisfying and one-of-a-kind.

Iron It 

Have you ever scrolled through twitter or instagram and saw something that speaks to you on a spiritual level? Slap it on a shirt! The possibilities are endless with this technique. With just an iron, transfer sheets, and a shirt, you could rep anything you want!

Lace It

Lace up apparel has been on the rise lately. For this technique all you need is some string, scissors, and your shirt. I have an alarming amount of sweatshirts and crewnecks from high school; so I just cut an upside down triangle below the collar and added some lace and voila I’m deemed a fashion ICON. You could also add a grommet trim. The grommet method is a little tough but totally worth it; you can find many tutorials on how to do it YouTube.

Before taking your debit card to an overpriced outfitter, check your closet. You might find some unexpected gems.

HCXO,

Ivanah

Hey! I'm Ivanah, I'm a freshman psychology major at SUNY Oneonta. I love fashion, film and of course, writing for Her Campus. I hope you enjoy our content :)
Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!