This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

My rock, my best friend, my mentor; my mom. My mom is a selfless human being who always puts others before herself. She is passionate about discovering everyone’s positive aspects about their personality, even if it seems that there may not be any. My mom puts her heart and soul into her students, her job, her friends, and her family. My mom has been there for me through the best times and through the absolute worst. Without her, I wouldn’t be half the person that I am today.

When I was younger, I always looked up to my mom. I still look up to her today, even more so! She always emitted positivity everywhere she went like she still does now. My mom and I have always been close. My best friends at school would always tell me that they wish they had the same relationship with their moms that I have with mine. I always go to my mom for advice about anything and everything. I tell her how I’m feeling, the struggles I’ve been facing, but also the successes I’ve been making. My suitemates at college are sometimes surprised by the amount of stuff that I tell my mom, but we really are just that close.

My mom is creative, caring, selfless, beautiful, and overall an amazing human being. She was put on this Earth to show the beauty of art, to show the values of family and friendship, to show the many wonderful aspects of love, and to just make the world a better place. She is always determined and never stops pursuing a project or task until she succeeds. Her grit and determination are shown through her teaching at school as an art teacher. She pushes her students to be comfortable with themselves and their creativity. She’s a teacher, but she is also a mom first. Because she’s also a mom, she cares about her students just as much as she cares about me and that can make a huge impact on her student’s lives.

My mom and I also know our boundaries with our friendship. When I do something wrong, she doesn’t sweep it under the rug. She tells me how it is and why what I did was wrong. She will lecture me like any other parent and I respect that. At the end of the day, she is my mom first. My mom and I respect each other, and that’s how any successful friendship starts. She tells me when I’m in the wrong, when I should apologize (even if I don’t want to), and when I’ve done something to make her proud. My mom has pushed me to be independent, but to also be a team player. She brings out the best qualities in me and I strive to be just like her one day.

HCXO

Emma Muirhead

Emma Muirhead

Oneonta '19

Senior graduating from SUNY Oneonta with a B.S. in Communication Studies. 
Shea Murphy

Oneonta '19

Shea is one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC Oneonta Chapter! Shea is a senior studying Biochemistry at Oneonta. She is a self-proclaimed photographer and loves spending time with her friends and family. When she's not in the lab or studying you can find her outside staying active and enjoying nature!