The Most Iconic Scenes in Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

There are so many other great movie moments not included in this list! Feel free to let me know what moments you would add.

1) The Seven Year Itch – Blowing Dress Scene The iconic white dress that Monroe wore set a record in 2011 when it was auctioned for $5.5 million. The original shots of this now famous scene were actually filmed in front of 5,000 people, which embarrassed Monroe’s then husband Joe Dimaggio.

2) King Kong – On top of the Empire State Building

If there was a scene on this list that was self-explanatory, this is it.  This is a classic movie scene that is now etched in American culture and is recognized all over the world.  It would be impossible not to put this at the top of the list.

3) Gone With the Wind – “Frankly My Dear, I Don’t Give a Damn.”

After all of the chaotic misfortune that Scarlett dragged Rhett into throughout the Civil War and after, he’s finally had enough of her. He’s through with all their struggles and doesn’t give a damn about her stubborn attitude anymore.

4) Singing in the Rain – Gene Kelly Dance scene

I’m convinced Gene Kelly’s dancing can make anyone happy.  If you haven’t actually seen this scene, just watch it, you won’t regret it.  ‘Fun’ Fact: Kelly shot the scene in one take… with a 101 degree fever.

5)  Psycho – Shower Scene 

The movie that showcases obsession unlike any other.  This scene contains some of the creepiest, but also most famous, music ever.  After watching this movie you can’t help but double check that you locked the bathroom door before taking a shower.

6) The Graduate – “You’re trying to seduce me aren’t you, Mrs. Robinson?”

An all-time classic movie, and one that will get you listening to Simon and Garfunkel.  References to lines and images in The Graduate still come up often in pop culture today.

7) Casablanca – Rick and Ilsa Part Ways

“If you’re not on this plane when it leaves the ground you’ll regret it.  Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.” 

The scene that shows how intense one choice can be.

8) Star Wars – “Luke, I am your father”

The scene that shocked many, the evil Sith lord is actually the father of the hero Jedi warrior.  This line is so well known, people often use it in ways that don’t even apply to the conversation at hand.  If you watch the actual clip here, you’ll notice that Vader actually just says, “No, I am your father.”

9) Dirty Harry – “You’ve got to ask yourself one question. Do I Feel Lucky? Well, do ya, punk?”

Clint Eastwood, as his stoic and daring self, is such an iconic film figure that one of his famous scenes had to be on this list.  This line is so often repeated that you know you’ve heard someone mimic it to you, but you might’ve not even known what movie it was from.

10) Risky Business- Old Time Rock n Roll

Who doesn’t think of this little dance scene when you’re home alone sliding around on the floor listening to music?  There’s a reason why we still have so many Risky Business themed parties.

Emily is an editor and writer at Her Campus Oneonta. She is a sophomore and currently marjoring in English. You can always find her singing, dancing, but most of all, laughing.
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen