This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

It’s February. The Valentine’s Day decorations have taken over stores. Maybe you’re in a relationship, maybe you’re not, or maybe it’s complicated. No matter your relationship status, the first person you should practice loving is yourself. Here’s some simple things that you can do regularly to care for yourself and be present.

Try out yoga.

It’s amazing how accessible everything is nowadays through the internet. Yoga is no exception.
With a simple YouTube search, there are thousands of options for yoga– yoga for beginners, 5
minute yoga, yoga for the morning, etc. If you’d rather be in a class, SUNY Oneonta offers free
yoga classes throughout the week. Check with the Alumni Dance Studio to see when they’re
offered. Taking the time out of your day to focus on your breath and give your body a stretch is
an amazing act of self-love.

Take yourself on a date.

Are you craving a milkshake? Or decide you want to go shopping? Sometimes, we think that we
have to have a buddy to go do these things. Take the time to enjoy your own presence and treat
yo self to a nice shake (bank account permitting).

Set a bedtime for yourself.

I know, we’re not in elementary school anymore. But setting a bedtime doesn’t mean you
necessarily have to go to bed– instead, choose a time where you decide to stop working and
relax. It’s important to cut out some time for yourself, even if it’s only 10 minutes at the end of
the night. Take the time to do something relaxing and enjoyable, like lighting that yummy
candle, pulling out your newest mystery novel, or sipping hot tea. We all have busy lives, but we
can’t forget to check in with ourselves and our mental health.

Breathe.

If you simply don’t have time to do any of the things above, or you just want to keep it simple,
try belly breathing. You can do this anytime, anywhere. Simply breathe in long and deep through
your nose, feeling your belly expand. Then breathe out through your mouth slowly, and focus on
your stomach deflating as it releases the breath. Belly breathing can actually lower your heart
rate, reduce stress and anxiety, and lower your blood pressure (learn more:
https://www.healthline.com/health/diaphragmatic-breathing#benefits).

This February, take some time to be good to yourself. Life is busy, but we can’t forget about ourselves. Whether you’re in a relationship or not, don’t forget to care for yourself during the month of Valentine’s Day.

HCXO,

Cierra

Cierra Orlyk

Oneonta '20

My name is Cierra and I'm a senior at SUNY Oneonta, majoring in Communication Studies. You can find me in my free time reading, discovering new music, and planning my next road trip.
Hey Everyone! My name is Melissa Viskoc and I'm a Junior here at SUNY Oneonta! I am an early childhood education major and I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for the Her Campus Oneonta chapter. I spend most of my time watching reality tv and just about every crime show there is! I hope you enjoy my articles !