Style > Beauty

Makeup I Don’t Like That Other People Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Makeup is one of those things that is very personal. There are a million factors that can lead to one product working for one person and not another. I don’t dislike any of these brands or any influencers that may have worked on them, they just didn’t work for me! Keep reading to find out what didn’t work for me!

Morphe x Jaclyn Hill Eyeshadow Palette

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t LOVE Morphe shadows the way that everyone else seems to. I loved this palette when a friend of mine picked it up and I played around with it a little bit. After owning it for a few months, I realized that it just is not something I reach for. It is also super inconvenient to travel with, so anytime I’m leaving home, this palette is the first to get left behind.  

Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara

I used to love this mascara, especially when I was using a travel size. But when I bought the full size it seemed like the formula was different and just not what I look for in a mascara. It made my lashes look clumpy and it didn’t add any volume or length. I had even recommended it to all of my roommates and we all bought the full size and after a few uses they had the same thing to say. People seem to love this mascara and it always looks really good on everyone else but for whatever reason it just doesn’t work with my lashes.

Matte Liquid Lipsticks

Most people love the concept of liquid lipsticks. You can just put it on in the morning (theoretically) and leave it all day. Sounds great, right? Wrong. No matter what formula I have tried (and there’s been A LOT), it dries my lips out and makes them all gross and peel-y. I usually take really good care of my lips so the fact that one lipstick application just ruins that really just takes away from the idea for me. I also have found that they stain your lips really bad. I don’t want red lips for a week. My final gripe with matte liquid lipsticks is that they are nearly impossible to reapply unless you want to take it off completely and then reapply which can sometimes be a process since some liquid lipsticks need a lip liner too.

Tarte Tartelette Toasted Eyeshadow Palette

This palette should have been right up my alley. It is all warm tones, a good balance of matte and shimmers, everything I would need from a palette. Except it wasn’t. The eyeshadows were so powdery, which usually doesn’t bother me, but I used this palette one time and completely rubbed away the “Tarte” imprint that was in at least 3 shadows. I also found that these colors looked different in the pan and on the lid, and not just a little different. Different enough that the eyeshadow look I had planned to go with my outfit and a lipstick didn’t match at all. The undertones just weren’t flattering for me. Finally, when I went to go use the palette for a second time, I didn’t really like I could get much of a different look from it. The only dark brown shade in the palette had glitters all in it. Overall, I had such high hopes and was let down.

Kat von D Tattoo Liner

When I first started wearing liquid eyeliner, this eyeliner was THE eyeliner to have. I saved my money up and on a random stop at Sephora finally took the plunge and bought it, expecting to be in eyeliner love. And boy was I wrong. The pen dried out SO FAST that there was no way it was worth $20. It wasn’t even a dark black, it was more of a gray-black. As if that weren’t enough, Kat von D announced over the summer that she was against vaccines (because they aren’t vegan) and that she won’t be vaccinating her baby, so that is reason enough to no longer support her or her brand.

Hopefully, this gave you some new perspective on some very popular products! Use this as your friendly reminder that just because a product is popular, doesn’t mean it’s going to work for everyone!

HCXO,

Emily

Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!