This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

October is much more than “Spooky Season”.

There are many important days in October that are overshadowed by all the fall festivities.

The month of October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This is a time for raising awareness for a disease that has an impact on so many people and coming together to show support, and wear pink of course!

October 10th is World Mental Health Day:

Mental health is so important for everyone to be aware of every day of the year and should be something that is more talked about. By bringing more awareness to this day, it could start a worldwide conversation of its importance.

October 11th is National Coming Out Day:

This day is important for so many people. It is a chance for people to share their stories and struggles that they went through to empower others and get the comfort they need in knowing they are not alone in the choices they make. It takes a lot of courage to express one’s true self and that should always be celebrated.

Take some time and appreciate each day and become more aware of the importance they carry.

HCXO,

Melissa 

Hey Everyone! My name is Melissa Viskoc and I'm a Junior here at SUNY Oneonta! I am an early childhood education major and I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for the Her Campus Oneonta chapter. I spend most of my time watching reality tv and just about every crime show there is! I hope you enjoy my articles !