IGC Vice President, James Dipaoli

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Meet James, this week’s campus celebrity! James is the Vice President of Inter-Greek Council (IGC) here at SUNY Oneonta!

Name: James Dipaoli

Year: Junior

Major: Criminal Justice

HC: What inspired you to run for an IGC position?

James: “I decided to run for Inter-Greek Council (IGC) because I wanted to have a bigger impact on the campus community.  Greek life has had such a positive influence on me and I want to share this experience and ensure that people who are Greek or are interested in going Greek have the same enthusiasm and love for it that I do.”

HC: What are your hopes for Greek Life on our campus?

James: “My biggest hope for Greek life is to expose the rest of the Oneonta community that the negative stereotypes that surround fraternities and sororities are myths.  In addition, I also want to highlight all the philanthropic, community service, and fun activities that come with being part of a Greek letter organization.”

HC: What are some of your highlights of being Vice President so far?

James: “As the Vice President of IGC, I have been a part of numerous committees in which I was able to aid in the planning for events such as SUNY Oneonta’s Family Weekend. I have attended health center conferences to promote a safer campus environment for our students, a committee for Midnight Madness, which will be coming up in a few weeks, and many more to come.  The best part of being a part of IGC for me is just the opportunity to influence the things happening on our campus.”

HC: Why would you recommend going Greek?

James: “I would recommend going Greek for a number of reasons: first and foremost it provides a family home away from home.  Some people consider this “buying friends;” however, this could not be farther from the truth, most of my friends in my fraternity were friends from before I even joined it. I have many friends in other fraternities and sororities whom I do not “pay for” but still may never have met if not for being Greek.  Another reason to go Greek is the opportunity to network and resume build, there are countless leadership positions to be held in Greek life with more and more appearing every week.  Overall, while Greeks are burdened with a lot of responsibilities, they also provide huge services to the community of Oneonta, to our campus, and to each other.”

Want to know more? Feel free to follow IGC on instagram: @intergreekcounciloneonta

Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).