How to Conquer the November “Slump”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

The November “slump” affects us all… you know, that time of year when the fall isn’t quite gone, but the winter is approaching rather fast? It’s this time of the year when even the cheeriest of us can feel the blues. Whether it’s a lack of motivation, the cold temperatures, or just a little bit of homesickness, it is really important to conquer this “slump” and make sure it doesn’t ruin your happiness during your time at school.

Coffee Shops: One of the things that always boosts my mood when I’m in a bit of a “slump” is a warm drink… especially when I am enduring the month of November. They say money can’t buy happiness, but a cup of coffee is less than three dollars, and that’s a lot more than happiness in my book. This is the time of the year when Starbucks comes out with all of their holiday drinks and treats. Don’t even try and act like you aren’t obsessing over the Peppermint Mocha Latte. Coffee shops are awesome because during the month of November, it’s basically like enjoying the taste of the holiday season in your mouth. Coffee shops are also awesome because they entail a relaxing vibe. Having a little coffee shop date with someone that you haven’t seen in awhile is also an awesome way to boost your mood.

Taking It Easy: Staying in for a night with your gals’ or dudes is another fun way to keep your mood stellar during the dreaded November “slump”. Let’s be honest, going out all the time can get old, so why not switch things up and stay in for a night?

Having Something To Look Forward To: The month before the holiday season can sometimes feel like it lasts forever. Having something to look forward too throughout the month will definitely brighten your mood. Whether it’s some plans with friends, or the always exciting trip back home for break, make sure you take a few minutes out of every day to think about whatever it is that you are looking forward too.

Gym’ It: The colder months aren’t all about Netflix’ing in bed and cuddling up under blankets, the winter is also an awesome time to take a trip to the gym and burn off some steam. No one is asking you to run a marathon; working out can be fun too! November is the beginning of preseason for most mountains surrounding Oneonta. Splurge a little bit and take a day trip to go snowboarding or skiing with your pals! Working out produces endorphins, which are natural mood boosters. It can’t get much better than that.

I HOPE SOME OF THESE TIPS HELP YOU GUYS STEER CLEAR FROM THE NOVEMBER “SLUMP”!

Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen