How to Beat Static Prone, Dry Hair During Winter Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Winter has some sort of crazy hair wrath- it’s like the second November hits, hair starts to get increasingly static-y, and dry. I don’t know about you guys, but I personally hate hate HATE when my hair gets like this. If you’re prone to either of these dreaded hair mishaps, here are some tips and tricks to help you get through the season with a bit less frustration:

DRYER SHEETS:

Believe it or not, these bad boys can be used for much more than just making your laundry smell fabulous. I can’t tell you exactly how, but dryer sheets seriously work miracles when it comes to static prone hair. I usually run a dryer sheet through my hair after I am done styling it, and the results never fail to please me! This sounds a lot stranger than it actually is, but I promise that it works, and gets rid of static!

LOTION:

Okay, I won’t lie, I was a bit skeptical about this one at first, but I have been using this trick for quite some time now and it still works as good as it did when I was first introduced to it. Lotionize your hands and lightly run your hair through your fingertips. This tames static immediately! I will advise you though, not to run lotion trough the roots of your hair. Putting lotion on your roots may cause your hair to appear greasy!

COCONUT OIL:

Is there really anything that coconut oil can’t be used for? Seriously though, coconut oil is a staple in my beauty routine and I use it for a variety of things (makeup remover, shaving cream, and body scrub to name a few). Coconut oil is an awesome product for dry, dead hair. I usually give my hair a little TLC by lathering it in coconut oil once a week. This aids in the fixation of split ends, and makes your hair softer, and smoother.

THROW IT UP:

Sometimes the toll of static hair can just get to be too much. When my hair isn’t exactly going in my favor I usually just throw it up in a ponytail or bun. This is great because it is ultimately tackling the static problem completely. This is a great solution if you don’t have the products or time to get rid of static- out of sight, out of mind!

SPRAY IT UP:

You can always count on good ol’ hairspray to get the job done! If you’re hair seriously isn’t cooperating, or you don’t mind applying some product to it, take a walk down hair spray lane and see what it can do for you. Hairspray is an awesome fix for static because it gives you a maximum hold, and isn’t usually a product that breaks the bank.

Do you find that you struggle with static prone, dry hair in the winter months? What things do you do to fix it?! 

Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen