Help Make the Holidays Brighter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

The holidays are an amazing time of year to give back to people around you. While a simple option, donating money is not always a possible option for everyone. Here are some other ways that you can help people and make the holidays bright for everyone! 

Volunteer at a soup kitchen 

When most people think of the holidays, they think of a delicious spread of food. It’s important to take a step back and understand that not everyone has this opportunity. Volunteering at a soup kitchen is a great way to help people have the holiday meal that everyone deserves. 

Donating clothes 

I know a lot of people, including myself, have trouble getting rid of clothes even when they aren’t being used anymore. Take the time to go through your closet and take out the things that you no longer use but could be extremely helpful to someone else.  

Visit a nursing home 

The holidays should be spent with family and friends and memories should be made. Unfortunately, not everyone has family around them. Spending time with people in nursing homes will let them know that they don’t have to be alone and will create amazing holiday memories.  

Donating toys to a children’s hospital 

The families that have to spend their holidays in the hospital are already doing everything they can to put a smile on their children’s faces, and you can to! Bringing toys for the children is a great way to bring some joy to their holidays, and nothing is better than making a child smile. 

Bring baked goods to your neighbors 

Everyone loves cookies and other yummy desserts (especially during bulking season). Bake some of your favorite treats to share with your neighbors, friends, and family to spread the holiday spirit! 

There are so many ways to make people smile during the holidays, and all year round! I hope that you are able to spread holiday cheer to those around you. 

HCXO, 

Natalie 

Natalie King

Oneonta '21

Hello! I'm Natalie and I am a senior here at SUNY Oneonta. I'm a Business Economics major with a concentration in marketing, and I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for the Her Campus Oneonta chapter. Some of my favorite activities include binge watching The Office as well as various reality TV shows. I also love playing soccer and spending time with my friends and family.