This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

By now the most fashion-conscious consumers are aware of the impact that our clothing is having on the environment, but very few of us actually step up & do something about it. Until about a year ago, I was one of those people. I was upset when I read stories about how the fashion industry is the second largest polluter in the world. Plus, I was angry that workers in countries like Bangladesh were locked in factories that collapsed, killing hundreds. However, that didn’t stop me from shopping at stores like H&M, Zara, & Forever 21. Who can say no to a $3 shirt on the sale rack, right? Well my $3 shirt fell apart the first time I wore it & I finally began to realize that by shopping at these fast fashion brands, I was part of the problem, the throw-away culture, that I ethically rejected.

But it’s not easy to give up fast fashion. We have grown up in a society which tells us that if something isn’t cheap it’s not worth buying. That’s not true!! There are amazing, fashion forward, ethical brands that offer reasonable prices you can afford but still feel good about supporting. As a consumer your power lies within how you spend your money, so use it to do some good! Check out these three companies that are changing the face of the fashion industry. 

1. Everlane 

Everlane is an online clothing retailer that is based in California. They have a laid back, modern vibe with both Men and Women’s apparel and shoes. Everlane has a policy called “radical transparency” which means that every garment they sell tells you exactly where it comes from, what needs to be improved and what is supporting their ethical mission. Prices range from $16 and up!

2. People Tree 

People Tree is a sustainable, Fair Trade fashion brand that offers high end products that last. Their entire supply chain– from the farming of fibers, to treatment of workers in factories–is all fair trade certified, and they partner with multiple organizations to instigate change in fashion supply chains. Prices range from $20 and above.

3. Reformation

Reformation is a young and trendy fashion brand that makes their products out of overstocked fabrics, vintage materials, fabric scraps and renewable fabrics. They are constantly innovating and redefining fashion sustainability.  You can find detailed information about the materials and process that their products go through, on their website, along with their current sustainability initiatives. Prices range from $28 and above.

I hope that you are inspired to check out these brands, & stop to think the next time you’re shopping fast fashion sale racks. Spend the extra $15 to buy a high-quality product that will last you years instead of a month & feel good about your purchases. You can be the change you want to see in the world while still looking fabulous! 

HCXO, Abby

Hi, my name is Abby, I am a fashion and textiles major with a minor in business communications at SUNY Oneonta and I am from Delhi NY. I love to thrift shop, drink tea, read, adventure, and swim. My goal is to be a fashion merchandising manager in NYC at a sustainable fashion company
Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!