This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Let’s take a look at the life and accomplishments of the highly esteemed writer, teacher, singer, actress, and activist Maya Angelou. By the time she died on 2014 at the age of 86 years old, she had lived through three major time periods in US histrory, she collected more than 50 honorary degrees from institutions throughout the country, and exerted major influence over how black female writers are perceived in society. Check out the timeline of her life, and learn how her experiences shaped Maya Angelou into the woman she became known as. 

Name: Dr. Maya Angelou

1928: Born April 4, Marguerite Annie Johnson 

1931: Parents are divorced; sent, with her brother, to live with her father’s parents

1935: Sent back to mom; sexually assaulted and raped by mom’s boyfriend, who was arrested and jailed (for one day) and murdered days after being released; after feeling like her voice killed him, Angelou went mute for almost 5 years

1940: Sent back to grandparents, who help Angelou speak again, along with a teacher

1942: Sent back to mom, attends school

1944: Becomes first female cable care conductor in San Francisco 

1945: Gives birth to her first son

1951: Married, controversial at the time because he was Greek

1954: Divorced; begins to go by Maya Angelou; joins the cast of Porgy and Bess and tours across Europe; her love for language fluorishes during this time as she becomes proficient in a few languages

1957: Recorded her first album

1959: Moves to New York to pursue her writing career

1960: Meets Martin Luther King, Jr., organized Cabaret for Freedom for Southern Christian Leadership Conference and named the Nothern Cordinator for SCLC. 

1961: Performs in The Blacks, Meets Vusumzi Make; moves to Cairo; becomes editor at The Arab Observer

1962: Relatinship with Make ends; moves to Ghana; son is injured in a car accident; becomes an administrator at the University of Ghana; becomes an editor for The African Review and a writer for the Ghanian Times and Radio Ghana; performs in Ghana’s National Theatre 

1965: Moves back to the US to help Malcolm X build up a new civil rights organization; when Malcolm X was assassinated, she moves to Hawaii with her brohter, where she picks up singing again

1967: Returns to NY 

1968: MLK asks her to organize a walk, which she postpones; MLK is then assassinated on her 40th birthday; writes her first autobiography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings; writes, produced, and narrated Blacks, Blue, Black!

1972:  First screenplay written by a black woman is produced, Georgia, Georgia

1973: Married

1981: Divorced; returns to Southern US, becomes a professor at Wake Forest University

1990: Begins lecture circuit

1993: Recites poem “On the Pulse of Morning” at Clinton’s inauguration; wins Grammy for the recording

1995: Recites her second public poem “A Brave and Startling Truth”

1996: Directs Down in the Delta; collaborates with Ashford and Simpson on an R&B album

2000: Collaborates with Hallmark on a variety of products, including greeting cards

2008: Campaigns for the Democratic party 

2010: Donates papers and memorabilia to the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture

2011: Teaches her last course; becomes a consultant for the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial

2013: Final speaking engagement; final installment of her seven part autobiography Mom and Me and Mom published

2014: Dies May 28

Famous Quotes: 

Angelou, although wildly successful and influential, did not live without struggle. We can all learn something from her and how she grew from her struggles and any roadblocks placed in her way.

HCXO,

Emily 

Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!