stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

It’s a lot harder to get access to certain commodities and services in college.

Your go-to eyebrow lady isn’t around, and your nail lady isn’t either. Scheduling an appointment with a doctor must be strategically planned for the two days that you’re home every couple of months. Getting access to birth control? Almost impossible.

Not anymore!

Nurx is a new online app that allows you get birth control delivered to your doorstep. There are so many women who aren’t on birth control for a variety of reasons. Whatever they may be, Nurx simplifies the entire process. You don’t even have to physically go to a doctor to get birth control prescribed and delivered to you every month.

When you first get on their website, you fill out a brief questionnaire based on your health history that helps their team of professionals and physicians determine which baby blocker will be best for you. From there, you fill out your insurance information and submit pictures of your insurance card for the company to keep on file. With your insurance, the service is completely free. However, if you don’t have insurance, it’s only $15 per pack.

Also, you can get text updates straight to your phone, which is very convenient when you’re nervous about running out. The updates are real time, and you receive your birth control within the week. The entire process is easy enough that anyone could figure it out. As someone who has been using this service for over a year now, I can say that Nurx gets two thumbs up from me! Nurx has made my life significantly easier in terms of birth control.

Services, such as these, need to be supported because they are increasingly needed. Women’s access to birth control is being increasingly politicized. Though most of us believe that birth control should be part of basic healthcare for women, there are plenty of people and institutions that believe otherwise. The government, the Church, and other institutions continue to attempt to gain complete control over women’s autonomy, but services like Nurx are pushing back. Personally, I cannot wait to see birth control be more accessible for everyone.

HCXO,

Sophia

Hello! My name is Sophia Monsalve, I'm from Queens, New York and I'm a sophomore here at SUCO. I'm a Mass Media Communications and Women and Gender Studies major, and I hope to present my activism through my articles! I hope to make even the smallest ripples of change by advocating for important causes in my writing.
Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!