This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

With all the terrible things happening daily, it’s so easy to get sucked into negativity. We often become desensitized to the negativity, and we accept this as our norm. We forget to appreciate all the little things that make life beautiful, and it is so, so beautiful! There will always be negativity, but it is our job to never let it win. Appreciate all the good things, no matter how small. Make it your mission to find light in even the darkest of places.

In an effort to always highlight the good, I have grown a liking for jotting down those little things that put a smile on my face. It could be a notebook or the notes in your phone but it’s a good list to have on days when you might be feeling a bit down. Here are some of the things that have made my list and that may make yours:

1. The smell of freshly brewed coffee, first thing in the morning; pouring it into your favorite mug. The feeling when you take the first sip. Getting the milk and sugar just right.

2. When the early morning sun washes over your bedroom.

3. The orchestra of chirping birds outside whilst getting ready for your day.

4. The sound of the ocean.

5. The first day of summer vacation; there’s a summer of adventures ahead!

6. Petting a dog.

7. Warm blankets, fresh out of the dryer.

8. Sunflowers.

9. Watching someone you love talk about their passions.

10. Going to bed after a good day, with a smile on your face.

I hope you try to make your own list, and I hope it helps you on your darker days. Life is full of so much breathtaking beauty—we just have to take the time to see it. Be an agent of positivity!

HCXO,

Sophia

Hello! My name is Sophia Monsalve, I'm from Queens, New York and I'm a sophomore here at SUCO. I'm a Mass Media Communications and Women and Gender Studies major, and I hope to present my activism through my articles! I hope to make even the smallest ripples of change by advocating for important causes in my writing.
Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!