The 7 Ways to Be Sustainable This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

There are so many ways to be sustainable! Here are some ideas for how you can be the most sustainable YOU!

1. To replace plastic bags, buy “If You Care” paper snack bags.

They’re $3.99 at Target! Sometimes Tupperware isn’t ideal since you have to carry around the Tupperware since you don’t want to throw it out. So if you DO need packaging that you can throw out but don’t want to use plastic, try these paper bags!!

2. Reusable K cups

All you have to do to replace your plastic K Cups is to put your own coffee grounds into the reusable container. Then you pop it in the Keurig and rinse the container! Then reuse!

3. Buy bamboo toothbrushes

Even the plastic that toothbrushes are made of contributes to your footprint on our planet! If you even replace something as “small” as a toothbrush, you are helping out planet.

4. Rubbermaid Tupperware Kits for $8.99

If you need good quality Tupperware for cheap, check out the Rubbermaid Kits! They have all the different types and sizes within the kit!

5. Reusable water bottles

Reusable water bottles—who needs an explanation?? I’m disappointed if you need explanation on this one!

6. Choose products with less packaging

Choose products that have less packaging. If you do have to have packaging when purchasing foods, opt for cardboard opposed to plastic. Or you can buy in bulk so that you can bring your own reusable containers to put food in (such as nuts and candies).

7. Reusable produce bags

Produce bags have a large impact on the amount of plastic used on our planet! You can opt for reusable, machine washable produce bags! However, if you know you might not be the person for this product, recycle the plastic bags you do use for produce!

Make sure to check out these different products to help our planet!! 

HCXO,

Haley

Emily Barry

Oneonta '19

Hey everyone! My name is Emily Barry and I am currently a senior at SUNY Oneonta! I am a biochemistry student and when I'm not drowning in assignments, I like to read, spend time with friends and family, and binge watch shows on Netflix! Keep up with my articles or follow me on Instagram/Twitter (@emilyrose0328) to get a glimpse at what's going on with me!