6 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Be Afraid of Traveling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

With the world that we live in, traveling can seem like a scary thing. Understandably, the possibility of terrorist attacks in different places can make people not want to travel. While this is a serious threat, you must remember the many benefits that come from traveling the world: 

1. You grow as a person

When you travel the world, you get to experience different cultures and meet different people. This means that you begin to view the world differently. It gets you out of your comfort zone, which forces you to become a more adaptable and worldly person.

2. You only live once

While this is a cheesy saying it is a good outlook for life when it comes to traveling. There are so many beautiful places to see and you should take time out of your life to go see them.

3. New foods to try

When you go abroad you get to try so many new types of yummy food! It is also really interesting to learn about the reason that food is important to that specific culture. If you’re a foodie like me, this is a HUGE perk to traveling (think about the desserts)!

4. Meeting new people

Another big part of traveling is getting to meet new people. You get to gain new perspectives on the world and learn about cultures other than your own.

5. Conquering your fears

Everyone has fears and traveling is a great way to force yourself to face them. Whether it’s a fear of airplanes to a fear of trying new things, traveling is an awesome way to get over them.

6. Finding yourself

When you travel, you learn what is really important to you. You discover new things that you never knew about yourself, and you may also find something new that you’re interested in! “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”- Neale Donald Walch. This quote sums up the need to travel despite your fears. You never truly live your life until you begin to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. When you are uncomfortable, you begin to grow as a person which traveling can definitely help with.

Anna is a junior at SUNY Oneonta, studying Fashion Marketing and Computer Art. She hopes to turn these studies into a career in the fashion industry in New York City. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Anna spends her time obsessing over eyebrows, embroidering, and talking about her dogs.