This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Have you ever been told that you’re an “old soul”? If so, you may not fully grasp the idea of what this means. To me, I always thought this meant that I was boring, and I took offense to the idea of being an old soul. Recently though, I realized this isn’t a bad thing at all! Take a look at these 5 common phrases about being considered an “old soul” and the meanings behind them to see if you can relate!

1. You don’t like to go out just for the sake of “going out”.

To me, this was always a big one. Until recently, I never enjoyed partying, I would have much rather stayed in on the weekends watching a movie with friends or relaxing by myself. I always thought this was normal until I got to college where my friends would go out almost every weekend. I never saw the joy or fun in it until my last semester of college. As an old soul, you would much rather spend time in your pajamas watching reality TV than waking up the next morning and not being able to remember the night before.

2. You value the company of those much older than you.

Over the last few years, I have deeply enjoyed the company of my mom’s friends. They’re not “much” older than me, but they of course have some years on me. Sometimes I would rather spend time with them having a relaxing dinner than going out and partying with my friends. It’s nice to sit down and talk about your future and goals with moms who have had a lot of experience with life themselves. I value their opinions and take their advice to heart. My mom’s best friends seem to be my new best friends too, and I love it! I also enjoy the respect that they have towards me. Thank you to my extra moms, I love you all.

3. Your path of life is more independent than not.

Have you ever noticed that you’re more comfortable in life traveling alone? The company of others is nice from time-to-time, but you find true comfort in being by yourself. You have gone through life more independently than not, and for that you may be an old soul. You may feel uncomfortable in a crowd of people at a gathering and would much rather be somewhere else in your own company. More times than not, I would rather be alone. On the other hand, there would be days where I’m feeling “extra needy” and enjoy the company of others. It may just depend on the day!

4. You didn’t “fit in” with your childhood friends.

Did you feel that during grade school and high school you didn’t really have a core friend group? I can relate completely. I was always fluttering around from friend group to friend group because I felt that my friends never really understood me, and that I never felt fully included. Looking back, I’m appreciative of that because I found my own way. It’s okay to not fit in with your childhood friends, because more than not they may always just be your childhood friends. The time will come when you will find your core friends, and that may not come until college or after, and that is 100% ok!

5. You gravitate towards a certain era altogether.

Have you ever felt that you weren’t born in the right era? Some people may feel this way with clothing, music, or in general altogether! For me, I enjoy 80s music more than the music that is played today. My love for Queen is out of this world! I don’t believe I was born in the wrong era, but I do believe my musical taste was. The styles, the attitudes of people, political beliefs, etc. may not coincide with who you are, and that’s ok. It is okay to find joy in different eras, that makes you more unique, so embrace it!

HCXO

Emma Muirhead

Emma Muirhead

Oneonta '19

Senior graduating from SUNY Oneonta with a B.S. in Communication Studies. 
Shea Murphy

Oneonta '19

Shea is one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC Oneonta Chapter! Shea is a senior studying Biochemistry at Oneonta. She is a self-proclaimed photographer and loves spending time with her friends and family. When she's not in the lab or studying you can find her outside staying active and enjoying nature!