15 Grey’s Anatomy Quotes We Can All Learn From

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

If you’ve ever watched “Greys Anatomy,” you know that during an episode you’re either anxious, smiling, laughing, or sobbing. We can thank Shonda Rhimes for the emotional rollercoaster she’s sent us on. If you’ve never watched Grey’s, I’d certainly recommend it. Netflix has all 12 seasons, so start your binging!

Here are 15 “Grey’s Anatomy” quotes by some of our favorite characters we can all learn from or relate to:

Meredith Grey:

1. “If there’s just one piece of advice I can give you, it’s this – when there’s something you really want, fight for it. Don’t give up. No matter how hopeless it seems. And when you’ve lost hope, ask yourself if ten years from now, you’re going to wish you gave it one more shot, because the best things in life, they don’t come free.” 

2. “When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don’t let go.”

Cristina Yang:

3. “I need a drink, or a man, or a massage. Or a drunken massage by a man.”

4. “Oh, screw beautiful, I’m brilliant! You wanna appease me, compliment my brain!”

5. “It’ll hurt. Every time you think of her. But over time, it will hurt less and less. And eventually you’ll remember her and… It will only hurt a little.”

6. “I can’t go. We have to dance it out. That’s how we finish.”

Derek “McDreamy” Shepherd:

7. “Life is short. So now I think less and just do.”

8. “That’s how you stay alive. When it hurts so much you can’t breathe, that’s how you survive. By remembering one day, somehow, impossibly, you won’t feel this way. It won’t hurt this much.”

Izzie Stevens:

9. “Time flies. Time waits for no man. Time heals all wounds. All any of us wants is more time. Time to stand up. Time to grow up. Time to let go. Time.”

Callie Torres:

10. “Don’t spend all your time wondering what you are or who you like or whether it’s right for you or wrong for you. Just let yourself be happy.”

Alex Karev:

11. “It doesn’t matter how tough we are. Trauma always leaves a scar. It follows us home, changes our lives. Trauma messes everybody up. But, maybe, that’s the point. All the pain, the fear, and the crap. Maybe going through that is what keeps us moving forward. Maybe we have to get a little messed up before we can step up.”

Lexie Grey:

12. “The problem is we’re human. We want more than just to survive. We want love.”

Mark “McSteamy” Sloan:

13. “If you love someone, you tell them. Even if you’re scared that it’s not the right thing. Even if you’re scared it’ll cause problems. Even if you’re scared that it will burn your life to the ground. You say it. You say it loud.”

14. “Sometimes you wish people would see themselves the way you do.”

15. “Who here feels like they have no idea what they’re doing?”

P.S… Most of the time, that’s perfectly ok. 

Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen