burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Returning Value to Fashion: How to Make a Difference Through Posh on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

As the school year begins, new opportunities arise, and on over 100 campuses this year, Poshmark is providing one of those opportunities with their #poshoncampus program.

Poshmark is a social marketplace for fashion, where users can buy and sell their clothing. It is a great way to shop without blowing your bank, or for some, even a way to make money.

For college students, this is huge. With student loans, meal plans and housing to worry about, Poshmark is the perfect way to indulge in a new outfit without any guilt. With Posh on Campus, students can take this a step further, turning fashion into an opportunity to get real-life event planning, marketing and public relations experience.

“Posh On Campus gives students the chance to work directly with a popular fashion startup that is redefining the way consumers shop,” said Barbara Regala, associate community manager of Poshmark. “Throughout the three-month program, Campus Reps will receive hands-on experience in social media, marketing, event planning and public relations. Each Campus Rep is required to contribute 1-2 hours per week, but the best part is, it’s completely up to the students on how they want to manage their time.”

Those selected to be a Poshmark campus representative will help recruit new members, organize parties and themed fashion events on campus and host virtual shopping parties.

Poshmark’s mission is “to make shopping simple and fun by connecting people around a shared love of fashion while empowering entrepreneurs to become the next generation of retailers.”

Not to mention, being a part of Posh on Campus will make a difference. If you doubt an online fashion platform can make a difference, let me tell you how it made a difference in my life.

When I think of shopping, I think of my grandmother. She would meet me at my local mall, sporting the same Coach coat she had owned for years, looking fabulous as ever. Instead of frantically running around the entire mall, we would take our time; stopping at the Nordstrom café for margherita pizzas, sitting on the lounge chair and listening to the pianist in Von Maur and chatting with the sales representatives that my grandmother knew by name. Today, shopping can be so rushed. Instead of taking our time and enjoying the community of it all, we approach fashion with a sense of urgency. A feeling that we must have the latest item or our world will collapse.  

As I grew up, I was well aware that the way I approached fashion might not always be like my grandmother did; however, as I was immersed in the urgency of consumerism, I longed to associate fashion with the joy of spending the day with a beloved family member. I looked at my closet and saw piece after piece of clothing that I did not like or care about, and my mind flashed to my grandmother’s one designer coat she loved, that lasted her through the years.

When I first found Poshmark, it was the perfect way to rid myself of the mass amount of clothing I owned that I did not like anymore. Later, it became the ideal way for me to merge the old with the new.

With more than $100 million worth of inventory uploaded on to the site every week, I still was participating in fast fashion, but Poshmark has a social aspect other shopping sites do not. Poshmark functions almost like a social media platform with Facebook-level engagement from users. This means users are spending about 25 minutes a day in the app- liking images, messaging sellers, and crafting their profile. While it is still the fast fashion we have grown so accustomed to, it puts the social aspect of shopping back on the table.

“The heart of Poshmark is our community — people come to Poshmark to buy or sell an item, but leave with a new friend.” Regala said. “We have over four million Seller Stylists who get to know their shoppers personally and style looks for their customers, curating over 14 million items each day. This kind of one-on-one interaction between shoppers and buyers can’t be found on any other commerce platform.”

This kind of community is something college students know can really change our world. Most college students like me briefly experienced a different time, when the world did not move so fast, and community was highly valued. A time when fashion was less about the pressure, and more about time spent with loved ones. Now, in this era of fast-paced consumerism, we long to bring the efficiency of our now together with the value of our past. Luckily, for students seeking to make this kind of difference, there is the opportunity to be a Poshmark Campus Representative with #poshoncampus.

If you are looking for the opportunity to not only gain valuable job experience but also support a company that is perfectly merging fashions past and present, then applying to be a campus representative may be the perfect opportunity for you. Applications are now open until September 17, just email poshoncampus@poshmark.com.

Special thanks to Kelly Groves, Poshmark’s PR and VIP closet coordinator, for statistics!