Pi Beta Phi Wins Thirteenth Annual Theta Encore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By: Darby Radcliff

Back in 2011 during November, the members of the sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta at Ole Miss hosted the thirteenth annual Theta Encore at the Gertrude C. Ford Center for the Performing Arts, which is a dance competition between Panhellenic’s fall pledge classes that involved over a thousand women representing eight different sorority pledge classes.

At the event, Pi Beta Phi stole the show and won first place with their theme “Bad Girls” in which they wore all black with the word “bad” painted on the front of their shirts, and danced to songs with the lyrics “Bad” in them from artists such as Michael Jackson and The Pussycat Dolls. 

Second place was given to the ladies of Alpha Omicron Pi whose theme was Beyonce, and the sorority, Kappa Delta had won third place with their theme of Glee.

Kappa Alpha Theta also gave out a few other awards including best music, best theme, and best costume.

Delta Gamma won the awards of best music and costume with their theme being board games such as Candy Land and Hungry Hungry Hippos. Tri Delta’s theme was “Outer space” and they tied with Kappa Delta for best theme.

Theta Encore benefits Theta’s national philanthropy, Court Appointed Special Advocates, as well as the Scarlet Lawrence Akins Foundation.

C.A.S.A. is an organization that advocates for abused and neglected children to ensure that their needs are heard. The Scarlet Lawrence Akins Foundation is Theta’s local philanthropy, and it was established to help raise awareness about Melanoma after one of their sisters died of malignant melanoma in 2006.

Another charity event similar to Theta Encore because it includes a dance competition held between the sororities of Ole Miss is called “Derby Days.”

“Derby Days” is put on by the Ole Miss chapter of Sigma Chi fraternity during the spring semester, and this year the Sigma Chi “Derby Days” charity event will be held on Saturday, April 14th.  

For more information on Kappa Alpha Theta’s philanthropy, check out these websites: 

http://www.paleisthenewtan-sla.com/

http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.5301295/k.BE9A/Home.htm

Darby Radcliff is a junior at Ole Miss majoring in Magazine Journalism, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at Ole Miss, as well as a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority. Besides having a passion for journalism, Darby has always had a strong interest in fashion, and has had the amazing opportunity to attend and cover runway shows and fashion presentations for various fashion editorial sites and style blogs during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami, as well as she has covered L.A. Fashion Week.