Ole Miss Sophomore Named the National Pitcher of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By: Darby Radcliff

Bobby Wahl, a sophomore right-hander on the Ole Miss baseball team, has been named the national Pitcher of the Week by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA).

The NCBWA, which was founded in 1962 and is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball, announced Wahl’s achievement on Tuesday. Wahl was also named the Southeastern Conference Pitcher of the Week by the league on Monday.

The athlete from Springfield, Va. scored these two titles when he had helped the Rebels achieve a series win over Florida, the top-ranked baseball team, last weekend when he successfully picked up the Friday win on the mound before scoring the game-winning run on Sunday in the bottom of the ninth as a pinch runner. 

While also on the mound last Friday evening, Wahl achieved 8.0 scoreless innings for the Rebels, while holding the Gators to two hits during his time on the mound.

The 8.0 innings of work was a career-long for Wahl, who had only one base runner advance past first base in his time on the mound. 

The shutout victory was Wahl’s third of the season, and improved the pitcher’s record to 5-0.  

Also, this shut-out was Florida’s first time for this to occur since March 8, 2011. 

For more information on the Ole Miss Baseball team, check out their website:
http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-basebl/ole-m-basebl-body.html

Darby Radcliff is a junior at Ole Miss majoring in Magazine Journalism, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at Ole Miss, as well as a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority. Besides having a passion for journalism, Darby has always had a strong interest in fashion, and has had the amazing opportunity to attend and cover runway shows and fashion presentations for various fashion editorial sites and style blogs during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami, as well as she has covered L.A. Fashion Week.