This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By Abbey Edmonson

Yay!  Recruitment season is upon us!  If you’re reading this, that means you’re probably interested in joining a fraternity or sorority.  If you don’t think Greek life is your thing, don’t sweat it!  There are SO MANY other ways to be involved on campus, and Greek life is only one.  I know so many people who are perfectly happy opting out.  However, I do encourage you to try it out because it can be one of the most amazing experiences of your life.  I definitely don’t regret it.

For those of you who are curious or interested, you have come to the right place! I will attempt to help clear up any questions or misconceptions that may have arisen since you started looking into recruitment and all that it entails.  I’ve talked with many sorority women from several chapters, and we’ve all generally said the same thing.

Relax

First of all, relax!  This isn’t some beauty pageant; you’re allowed to be a real person.  Sororities are not actively looking for your worst qualities; they’re engaging in conversation to find those details about you that show that you would fit into their chapter.  Sometimes being real with someone leads to the best conversations.  For example, in one of the houses, I remember telling a girl about the fact that I really wasn’t having a good day.  She sympathized with me, and we ended up having a stellar conversation.  You don’t have to be the best show dog; just be yourself!

Side note: one of most sororities’ top concerns is making sure you like them.  They shouldn’t be anything but nice to you, and if they aren’t at least polite and genuine, then they aren’t really embodying what it means to be a sorority woman.  But don’t worry, those cases are few and far between.

It’s not a Fashion Show

Second of all, don’t stress over your appearance!  I guarantee that no one cares what colors you wear or how new that dress is.  No one is going to see you wearing the colors of another chapter and think that you’re going for that specific chapter.  Also, if you like wearing things that aren’t necessarily “trendy,” then wear them!  I remember one-day last year I wore glitter eyeliner (not a lot, just a hint of it), and it actually really helped my decision.  The sorority who complimented me actually ended up being the one that I ran home too. One girl in my future sorority actually told me that she remembered me because of the different makeup choice.  Who knew that glitter eyeliner would help me make a lifelong decision?  Whether it’s makeup, shoes, or clothing, you should just make sure you feel comfortable because the whole process can be really taxing. No one wants to be hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable while they’re talking to a room full of strangers.

Small Talk, Small Talk and more Small Talk!

Third of all, be ready to put those small-talk skills to the test!  I can safely say that I became a pro-small-talker after going through all of those rounds.  I’m not going to lie, there is a lot of repetition, especially in the first few days.  You may feel awkward, but talking with them is how they learn more about you and vice versa.  The places where you dive into those deeper conversations are where you make meaningful connections.

Go With the Flow

In the end, you should go wherever you feel the most comfortable.  Maybe you feel connected to the house itself.  Maybe you love the conversations you had and the people you met.  Maybe you really identify with a specific philanthropy.  Sororities are so much more than a social outlet.  You should pick the place you see yourself eating lunch every day.  You should pick the place you could see yourself just goofing off and being surrounded by people who do the same.  Be your most genuine self, and everything will fall into place.