Ole Miss Falls to Texas in the Fourth Largest Crowd in the History of Vaught-Hemingway Stadium

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By: Ryan Schmelz

The Grove had no room to walk and Vaught-Hemingway Stadium was squeezed all the way to the upper concourse as the Ole Miss Rebels fell to the Texas Longhorns 66-31.

Celebrity rumors and record crowds created a huge buzz around the first ranked opponent of the season for the Rebels. Towns such as Grenada and Tupelo, which both are over an hour away from Oxford, completely sold out of hotel space for the big weekend.

The Rebel’s offensive and defensive line struggled against a very stacked Texas line. Bo Wallace was under pressure and had no time to throw almost the entire night on an inconsistent day. Wallace threw for 178 yards with one touchdown and 3 interceptions.

Texas had a field day on offence as David Ash threw for 326 yards and 4 touchdowns in the Longhorns 676 yards of total offence.

While it was a difficult night to swallow for the Rebels, several players proved there is still a bright light at the end of the tunnel. Donte Moncrief made a statement that he is a receiver everyone should keep their eye on as he had 7 receptions for 144 yards and a touchdown. Moncrief also had a score that was called back. The fans that stuck around also saw freshman Jaylen Walton return a kick 100 yards for a touchdown.

Darby Radcliff is a junior at Ole Miss majoring in Magazine Journalism, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at Ole Miss, as well as a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority. Besides having a passion for journalism, Darby has always had a strong interest in fashion, and has had the amazing opportunity to attend and cover runway shows and fashion presentations for various fashion editorial sites and style blogs during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami, as well as she has covered L.A. Fashion Week.