Javaris Neely

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

Javaris Neely

By: Darby Radcliff

Her Campus: Tell us about yourself.

Javaris Neely: Well my name is Javaris Neely. I’m 22 years old.

I’m an artist, (meaning I make all types of music) as well a businessman. I go by the stage name “J Swagg.” 

HC: Have you always been interested in music?

JN: I wouldn’t say that I have always been interested in music, but I picked up music when I was about 12 to 13 years old.

HC: How did you get into rapping?

JN: I got into music by listening to Lil Bow Wow and Lil Romeo when I was in 6th or 7th grade. During this time, my friends and I used to rap battle in class. One day I told them that I wanted to rap and they let me so I kept pursuing it.

HC: What inspires you to rap and who are your music idols?

Life inspires me to rap. When I make music, I basically go into a “Dream Mode,” meaning I can talk about anything no matter if I have access to it or not. I look up to Lil Wayne, Yo Gotti, Kanye West, Birdman (YMCMB).

HC: What has been your favorite music gig so far in your career? Do you have any favorite venues to rap at?

JN: Well my favorite gig will be performing at the #Urock Tour In Miami, FL. I was selected by Day 26’s Robert Curry. As for favorite venues, I don’t have any particular favorites.

HC: What is your best advice for aspiring rappers? Also, what are your tips for current rappers in college?

JN: My advice for upcoming rappers is “to be yourself regardless of what others think.”

My tips for rappers in college is “to be a businessman before entertaining, and use your brains to the fullest extent.”

HC: What are your hopes for your music career?

JN: My hopes for my music career is to be a legend and always be remembered like some of the music icons of history including Michael Jacksons and many others.

HC: For current fans and future fans out there, what are you upcoming show dates?

JN: I have many upcoming shows in 2013, so watch out for me because I will be coming to perform at a city near you.

HC: Do you have anything else to add? 

JN: I’m releasing my debut album in a week on December 18th, 2012. This album is available everywhere, and for updates on my album release and upcoming performances, follow me on Twitter @JSwagg561.

For more information on Javaris Neely, check out:

Twitter:@JSwagg561

Instagram:@JSwagg561

www.officialjswagg.com/

www.youtube.com/stunnazent

Darby Radcliff is a junior at Ole Miss majoring in Magazine Journalism, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at Ole Miss, as well as a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority. Besides having a passion for journalism, Darby has always had a strong interest in fashion, and has had the amazing opportunity to attend and cover runway shows and fashion presentations for various fashion editorial sites and style blogs during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami, as well as she has covered L.A. Fashion Week.