DJ HoodR1ch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

DJ HoodR1ch
By: Darby Radcliff

Brendan Rich aka DJ HoodR1ch is a local DJ here at Ole Miss. The talented DJ started out deejaying here his sophomore year, and ever since he has been creating an awesome, vibrant party scene.

DJ HoodR1ch has also opened up for famous performers such as: Snoop Dogg, Hyper Crush, Yo Gotti, Dorrough, Super Mash Bros., The White Panda, Outasight, Paper Diamond, Travis Porter, and Roscoe Dash. 

Check out his latest mash-up that was featured on the front page of www.WhiteFolksGetCrunk.com and read below for the exclusive interview that Her Campus Ole Miss had with DJ HoodR1ch. 

Her Campus: Tell us about yourself.

DJ HoodR1ch: I grew up in Buffalo, New York and lived in Jackson, Miss. for part of my life as well. I chose to go to Ole Miss for college because I wanted to go to a fun SEC school. I am twenty-one years old now, and am a History major here, but I have plans to pursue a career in music management.

HC: Have you always been interested in music?

DJ HoodR1ch: Yes, I have always done stuff in music, but it was in High School that I started to become interested in spinning.

HC: How did you get into deejaying?

DJ HoodR1ch: I started playing my sophomore year at the bar called The Levee when I hooked in my iPod because I wanted change up the vibe of the music that was currently playing there. It was at this same bar at one of my shows, that people broke through the floor because they were jumping up and down enjoying my music. 

HC: Your DJ name is DJ HoodR1ch, how did you come up with this?

DJ HoodR1ch: I was a junior in High School and was outside of a mall in Buffalo, New York when a drive-by shooting occurred, and I was shot in the leg by accident because I got in the way of the intended target. Due to this shooting incident when I was in High School and the fact that my last name is ‘Rich’, my friends began to call me ‘HoodR1ch’.

HC: What inspires you to deejay and what are your musical inspirations?

DJ HoodR1ch: I was inspired to deejay because I wanted to come in to fill a void, and I wanted to do a better job at getting the party started here at Ole Miss.

For musical inspirations, I enjoy house music, hip-hop music, EDM (Electric dance music), and oldies including Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons.

HC: What has been your favorite DJ gig so far in your career? Do you have any favorite venues to deejay at?

DJ HoodR1ch: I love playing at the Lyric Oxford because it is Oxford’s nicest venue, but I also love The Levee because that is where I first started out playing shows. 

My favorite DJ gig so far has been opening up for Snoop Dogg this past October at The Lyric Oxford.

HC: What is your best advice for aspiring DJs? Also, what are your tips for current DJs in college?

DJ HoodR1ch: My best advice is to just go for it, have fun and try it out, but also, to learn how to do it right.
Also, you don’t need the most expensive equipment in order to learn the trade of deejaying. Lastly, my advice is to keep partying on and enjoy life.   

HC: What are your hopes for your DJ career?

DJ HoodR1ch: Deejaying is more of a hobby that I enjoy, so after college, I will stop deejaying, and I will focus on a career in music and talent management.

HC: For current fans and future fans out there, what are you upcoming show dates?

DJ HoodR1ch: My upcoming show dates are always posted on my Facebook page, but this week I will be playing at the bar called Funkys this Friday, December 9th

For more information on DJ HoodR1ch, check out:

DJ HoodR1ch Website: http://soundcloud.com/dj-hoodr1ch

DJ HoodR1ch Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/djhoodr1ch

DJ HoodR1ch Twitter: @DJHOODR1CH

Darby Radcliff is a junior at Ole Miss majoring in Magazine Journalism, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at Ole Miss, as well as a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority. Besides having a passion for journalism, Darby has always had a strong interest in fashion, and has had the amazing opportunity to attend and cover runway shows and fashion presentations for various fashion editorial sites and style blogs during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami, as well as she has covered L.A. Fashion Week.