To The College Student About To Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By Laura Johnson

If you just had the sudden realization that your college graduation is coming faster than

expected, you’re not alone. This realization is one that millions of students are also just now

having. Did you just apply for your diploma? How much time do you have left? 8 months? 6?

Only a few weeks? Graduating from college is a scary, exciting, and proud moment. You did it! You have made it through all four (or more!) years, and you busted your bottom to earn that

degree. BUT what then? Will you get your dream job, or will you be working in a field that isn’t

what you got a degree in just because it was available, and you need money? This is the question

most college seniors worry about: job security.

Another concern upcoming graduates worry about is relationships. Many of the questions we ask ourselves include: “will my friends and I still be close?”, “will I have to move far away?”, “will my college boyfriend and I stay together?”. The world is always full of unending possibilities and that’s okay. If the worst of the worst happens, guess what? You will make new friends. You will fall in love again. You will find some form of beauty in your new town of residence. Also, if you don’t get the job you want right off, keep fighting. You fought to get that degree and if need be, you should fight to be able to use it. This next chapter in our lives is an open book with blank pages, just like it was when we graduated high school, left home, and moved into a dorm with people we barely knew. We survived freshman, sophomore, junior, AND senior years (even a 5th year for some). With that being said, don’t fear the next chapter of your life, embrace it.

Sarah Smith

Ole Miss '20

Sarah is a Journalism student at the University of Mississippi. She is currently working on her first novel which she hopes to be published before she finishes college in 2020. Nerd to the heart, Sarah is always blasting Guardians of the Galaxy in her car, and her dorm or house is where the nerdy movie and book fest never ends. She aspires to be a lifestyles magazine writer and a novelist after college.