emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Birthday Presents without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

November is the birthday month in my family.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-holding-inflatable-decor-1271134/

Many of my friends and family have birthdays in November and it gets pretty busy. I have birthdays to celebrate November 1, 5, 9, 11 (mine), 17, 18, 23, 25, 27 and 29. Needless to say, I am very broke during the whole month which is also soon followed by Christmas. At first, I thought that I could just budget and figure out how to make it all work. Then I realized that I am not very good at budgeting. So I won’t be able to buy everyone a birthday present this year. Instead I try and come up with alternatives to expensive birthday presents.

Take them to dinner- life gets really busy and sometimes its good just to take friends out to eat for their dinner. It doesn’t have to be an expensive dinner but just going out and putting down the phone to hang out can be nice.

DD for them- some people really want to go out for their birthday and it can get pricey going out to the bars so sometimes it’s good to just offer to be their ride for the night. It makes sure that they are safe too which is always a bonus. 

Throw them a party- I hate party planning, but sometimes it’s fun to surprise people with a huge group of people, cake and a backdrop.

Buy them something small- yesterday my friend came over with a box to make slime. It cost 11 dollars and we spent the rest of the night laughing and making slime. It seemed like something silly to do, but it was great to have something to do while hanging out.

Make them something- this is an obvious one. If you are good at crafts and have the time this is a great thing to do. I am not good at crafts so instead I choose to bake them something because it is a fun way to put time into someone’s gift without going broke.