Being a Chapter Woman vs. Being a Sorority Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By Morgan Blythe

This past month was the ever unique process of panhellenic recruitment. Greek life plays a large role here, and it is physically evident while driving down Sorority Row or Rebel Drive and seeing the extravagant mansions dedicated to different chapters. There are many Greek women on campus, and sometimes it seems like Greek life, in and of itself is the essence of this college. However, there is so much more to Greek life than the two or three very important letters.  

Being a sorority woman is more than wearing a t-shirt with your letters across the chest, it is representing and upholding your chapter values in a respectable and true manner. Something that became evident to me throughout recruitment this past year, even as a junior, was that every chapter here has a very similar goal. Somehow, for two years, I had missed this simple yet vital fact. Each chapter, though they vary, aspire to foster ideals in members that accomplish the same goal of empowering young women to become who they hope to be.  

Each chapter has the desire to challenge young women to lead, to grow and to become a woman who upholds the ideals of academia, sisterhood, confidence and so much more. In fostering these ideals, we have women on campus who are willing to lead, to stand for what they believe in and to usher in change where change is needed. There are women, members of eleven different College Panhellenic chapters as well as four National Pan-Hellenic chapters, who strive for these values in their daily life, in the mundane.

However, so often as sorority women, we become enthralled with the “fun”, with the swaps and socials, with the food (I mean this is pretty important to me still, but just not as important you feel) with the fraternities, with the status. We become so very engulfed in our own chapter’s letters over the door that we don’t see the wider community or purpose. We don’t see all of the women who might wear different letters or no letters at all, striving for leadership, scholarship and friendship, just as we are.

Being a sorority woman, to me, is more than the my individual letters on my chest, the cute photos and the fluffiness of it all. Being a sorority woman is challenging, encouraging, empowering, loving and growing. It is so much more than just my organization. It is the community of women who inspire me and surround me.

I love my letters. I love being a member of my chapter. Moreover, I love the strength that comes from the beautiful, courageous women within the panhellenic community and the values we all hope to uphold.

Photo credit: Love Your Neighbor on Unsplash

As a member of any sorority, regardless of what member class, I challenge you to form relationships with those in other chapters as well in addition to yours. I challenge you to see fully the scope of the panhellenic community. I challenge you to encourage and empower your sisters to grow and become women who continually strive to represent the ideals of your chapter. Don’t overlook all the good that comes with being a member of an extensive and incredible Greek community.

Ellie Greenberger is a junior at the University of Mississippi pursuing a degree in Journalism with a specialization in PR and a minor in English. She is a member of the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College and Delta Gamma sorority. She also contributes to Populi, the Honors College literary magazine. Ellie was born in Memphis, TN, but also grew up in Atlanta, GA. She loves fiction and friends (both the TV show and her own). She also enjoys revolving her social life around whatever food she can eat next.