Style

Be Unique This Halloween: Halloween Costume Do’s & Don’t’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

We’ve all been to Halloween parties and have witnessed the atrocity of half the girls there wearing the same kind of costumes. This year, be you and be unique at your parties by not following the norm!

Basic Costumes

Every basic girl will be wearing these kinds of costumes, and this gives you the chance to go beyond and show your creativity.

Sexy [insert animal here]

I can’t tell you how many Halloween events that I’ve attended where I look around and see a plethora of sexy animal costumes. Sexy cats, bunnies, dogs, and even deer will attend the costume parties again this year!

Slutty [French] Maid

I’ve seen these costumes for many many years now. I’m pretty sure that they were worn in some movies from the 1980s.

Seductive Police Officer

The handcuffs can be empowering, but these costumes are a dime a dozen.

Sultry Nurse

This costume is entirely basic. It could be made a little better if you just add your own twist to it. Zombify it. Zombies are always in style, and it’ll make it a little more unique.

Tempting Devil/Angel

Honestly, could you get any more basic? Remember A Cinderella Story? The “bad girls” wore the angel costumes. Just don’t do it.

Creative Ideas

Childhood Cartoons

Be your favorite Disney princess or your favorite cartoon character from Cartoon Network, Disney, or Nickelodeon! It’ll be a refreshing idea, and those costumes can be really simple.

Night of the Living Dolls

Get you a cutesy dress and some doll tights from a Halloween store. Do your makeup to look like a porcelain doll or a rag doll, hell even a zombie doll would be good. Give the guys something they aren’t expecting!

GREASE

Get a group of girls together and dress like the girls from Grease. For the greasers, leather. For the preppy girls, well, just wear preppy clothes. You can even zombify it. Simple. Easy. Different.

Horror movies

Image: Valeria Boltneva https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-in-black-and-white-collared-dress-holding-pumpkin-during-daytime-185478/

There are so many options here. The Purge, IT, Grudge, Michael Myers, and Freddy Krueger are all great ideas. You could even do The Addams Family even though it’s not that scary. Just make the costume your own!

Downton Abbey

The time period that this popular PBS show is set in is so much fun! All the fun fabrics and accessories? Count us in! You don’t even have to be a particular character — just get the look down! This picture is a photo our amazing faculty advisor took with her friends!

Friends

We all watched Friends. The best part about this one? That style has come back and the girls didn’t wear bras. It’s the best of both worlds!

Kallie Gosnell

Ole Miss '20

Kallie is an anthropology major that is specializing in bioarchaeology. She loves and is fascinated by bones and the stories that they can tell. She loves to cosplay and play Dungeons and Dragons.