Kellyn Simpkin-Hat Girl Writing Book Grass Outside
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

5 Little ways to Get Your Sh!t Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.
  1. Unsubscribe to email lists and delete unread emails

Anthony Tran
Anthony Tran / Unsplash

The way I like to do this is to see what’s cluttering my email first. I hit unsubscribe then I copy and paste the address it’s from and then delete all emails from that address. It’s a quick way to get rid of unread and irritating spam. I do this for 5 minutes every time I check my email and then it slowly gets done.

2. Donate Stuff

Rack of clothes
Via JamesDeMers on Pixabay

Anything that’s unused or as Marie Kondo would say, “doesn’t spark joy.” Let it go. Now is the time. Don’t go into the 20s holding onto stuff from the 2010s and 2000s. Kay, girl? This is OUR decade. Let’s kill it. Also, so many times we are like: I could make money off that, but the truth is if you’ve been holding onto it in hopes of selling it-it’s time to just donate it. 

3. Take inventory of your things

The Lalalaptop Phone Coffee
Her Campus Media

Take a day to do this task. A lot of times we don’t think about all the unnecessary crap hiding in our desk drawers, our closets or elsewhere. But it’s so important to get rid of all the things that aren’t important or serving us. Also, it makes us feel lighter to get rid of things that don’t serve us anymore. So put it in that donate bin. 

4. Create one big goal that you can fit small goals inside of.

Woman running with a sunset in the background
Image by skeeze from Pixabay

What I mean by this is, if your goal is to write a novel here’s your order of business: week one of the new year, plot book. Week two, outline. Week three, start writing. Etc. Month 3, revise book. It’s very important to make a big goal that at the end of the year was completed by breaking it down into weekly attainable goals. Or if your goal is to run a marathon, start by I’m going to walk 1 mile every day. Then I’m going to run a mile and walk a mile every other day. Create a way to make them happen slowly. 

5. Cancel subscriptions

Person pointing remote at a TV that is displaying Netflix
freestocks.org

If it’s Netflix that’s keeping you from your best life, cancel it. 2020 is going to be the year of no excuses and if you rid yourself of all the things distracting you this is a lot easier. Also, money is saved! So win-win! 

Let me know how this is working out for you! I wanna hear about it, tweet me @livesas3 . I cannot wait to hear from you guys!

Sincerely, 

Sarah

Sarah Smith

Ole Miss '20

Sarah is a Journalism student at the University of Mississippi. She is currently working on her first novel which she hopes to be published before she finishes college in 2020. Nerd to the heart, Sarah is always blasting Guardians of the Galaxy in her car, and her dorm or house is where the nerdy movie and book fest never ends. She aspires to be a lifestyles magazine writer and a novelist after college.
Morgan is a senior at the University of Mississippi. She is a Business Marketing major with an emphasis in Digital Marketing. Morgan is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ole Miss and was previously the Marketing Director. She is also a Campus Trendsetter for Her Campus. Morgan is also the Treasurer of the Student Marketing Association at the University.