david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Halloween Movies to Watch the Week of Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By Kennedy Pope

I don’t know about you, but Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I have always loved watching fun, or even scary, Halloween movies. I remember it like it was just yesterday. When my best friend and I were 13 years old, we got together on a cold, fall night and watched the movie, The Grudge. We screamed our heads off, and we loved every second of it. Great movies are always made for every special holiday, but Halloween movies, genuinely, are the best. Here is a list of five great thrillers and feel goods to watch the week of Halloween.

1. Hocus Pocus

Ok, Hocus Pocus has to be number one, and if you have not seen it, you are truly missing out. The movie not only makes you feel good, but it also gives you a little fright. The feeling of fall in the air and seeing the yellow and orange leaves is something you can almost feel through the movie itself.

2. The Strangers

For those of you who like to be scared— and I mean SCARED… this is the movie for you. The first time I saw this movie, I bet I was about 13 (scary movie junkie at a young age), and I was truly very scared. This is about a couple that were staying at their friend’s house for the weekend, and people in masks came and attacked them. A popular line in the movie is from the woman being attacked, asking the people why they were doing this. They responded, “Because you were home.” So ultimately this movie makes you scared to be in your own home…Comforting right?

3. Halloweentown

Anyone that was born in the 90s or early 2000s knows exactly what movie I am talking about. Honestly, this movie makes you dream that maybe there is a Halloweentown out there in the world, and maybe we can all have magical powers where we can sort our closet with our finger. This movie is based around another world named “Halloweentown,” and they can travel to the mortal world one night of the year… Halloween night.

4. Lights Out

This movie came out in 2016, and I made the terrible mistake of seeing it in the movie theater. All I did was scream bloody murder the whole movie. Don’t let this title confuse you with the movie Don’t Breathe about the three people who break into a blind man’s house and get trapped. I bring this up because that is the movie I THOUGHT I was seeing in the theater and even prepared myself watching the trailer. As it turns out, that was not the movie we were seeing, so that is probably why I kept screaming the whole time in the theater…I was not prepared whatsoever. Lights Out is hands down the scariest movie I have ever seen, and whoever thought of this movie, props to them because I was scared for sure. It is about a family, and the mom is haunted by her, I guess you could say, “crazy” friend that died when she was little. The name of the movie explains a lot. You can only see this person when the lights are out and somehow the lights seem to be out the whole movie. It is definitely a good watch—just be prepared to be scared.

5. Children of the Corn

This Stephen King film was made in 1984, so although it may be a little old, that does not mean it will not be scary. I saw this movie when I was little and was scared for weeks. (I know you are probably thinking at this point, “who let this child watch these scary movies?”) This movie is about a small town and a theory that everyone over 18 must die. Basically, a lot of people die and there is a corn field. This movie is currently on Netflix so for those of you who have Netflix definitely watch this for a good scream.

Kennedy Pope

Ole Miss '19

I am a Journalism student at The University of Mississippi. I also studied Fashion Media at London College of Fashion. I love to write about beauty, skin care, health, and entertainment If you have any questions or want to chat you can contact me at kennedybrook@gmail.com