This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

Being a journalist can be really difficult. I mean, any media job can be difficult, just like, you know any job. But sometimes jobs come with their own situations, like moving to big cities sometimes or freelancing….a lot. So, I’m here to share some of my tips about how to kill it as a journalist.

Photo credits: Fancycrave.com

1. Media Bistro.

If you haven’t heard of Media Bistro yet, you need to go RIGHT NOW. I mean, it will be your savior getting clips and educating yourself on the industry. I was told about it by Editor-In-Chief of Where New York and IN New York Magazine, Lois Levine. She told me that it was one of the best sites for journalists to learn how to effectively pitch a magazine. I have taken that advice to heart and anytime I’m interested in a subject area, I consult Media Bistro.

Photo credits:  Startup Stock Photos

2. The HC Job Board

You might not be aware of this, but Her Campus has job and internship opportunities posted. This is great when you’re looking at what you wanna do.

Photo credits:  Kaboompics .com

3. Subscribe to Magazines or Texture (Especially being right now you have a student discount or complementary subscription)

But don’t only subscribe, read them. When I visited Hearst this summer, my classmates and I got to ask questions to the head honchos at magazines. I found one thing that was surprising,  but it shouldn’t have been. Most people who applied for the magazine positions either did not read the magazines or had just read the past couple of issues. In a world of highly competitive jobs, we should know and research the brands we wanna work with well. We shouldn’t just start when we begin the job hunt. If we’re passionate about that job, we’ve got to start now. Also, if you’re worried about the cost of magazines, there’s this awesome app called “Texture” which allows you to view all recent magazines and read them.  

Photo credits: Chevanon Photography

4. Find Your Style and Wear it With Confidence

I interned in New York, and I found that everyone else seemed so cohesive and seemed to know what they liked so well. Their looks didn’t appear to be messy–they were all very put together. That’s when I learned the importance of finding your style and sticking with it. It’s important, not only to brand yourself on social media, writing, photography, and design, but also in your appearance; they should all go together. You are a package, and I wish someone would’ve told me sooner that this affects how people see you in high ranking positions. So whether it’s a color scheme or whatever, find it and craft it.

Sarah Smith

Ole Miss '20

Sarah is a Journalism student at the University of Mississippi. She is currently working on her first novel which she hopes to be published before she finishes college in 2020. Nerd to the heart, Sarah is always blasting Guardians of the Galaxy in her car, and her dorm or house is where the nerdy movie and book fest never ends. She aspires to be a lifestyles magazine writer and a novelist after college.
Ellie Greenberger is a junior at the University of Mississippi pursuing a degree in Journalism with a specialization in PR and a minor in English. She is a member of the Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College and Delta Gamma sorority. She also contributes to Populi, the Honors College literary magazine. Ellie was born in Memphis, TN, but also grew up in Atlanta, GA. She loves fiction and friends (both the TV show and her own). She also enjoys revolving her social life around whatever food she can eat next.