Why Winter Sex is Honestly the Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Sex is fantastic when it’s with the right person, and can be a lot of fun. It’s a good workout, a great way to feel closer to your partner, and the perfect way to relax. As we all know, however, there are a few awkward obstacles we all encounter from time to time and winter sex is a beast to conquer. Yes, sex in the summer is sweaty and a little bit gross (in a good way), but sex in the winter? That’s where the real trouble starts, and your legs just may feel frozen shut.

The first problem with sex in the winter is that it’s cold. I love my boyfriend, but if he tries to move the blanket I will turn into an icicle and stab him. The room is cold, my feet are cold, his hands are cold, and it doesn’t get warm until you’re in the throes of passion. You should eventually get warm but foreplay while cold is a difficult thing to do. On the upside, once you start you’ll build up so much body heat that you probably won’t want to stop. (This has nothing to do with the fact that you’re having sex, no! It’s just warm now, right? Right. Warmth.)

The second problem is that you’re probably wearing a lot of clothing that doesn’t feel very sexy. Sure, you see the cute Tumblr girl in her hoodie and panties, and during fall and summer nights that’s doable, but it is winter! This is “I love you, but if you try to take this hoodie off I will slit your throat with my diamond hard nipples” sex. Getting it on with a sweatshirt might not be the sexiest look, but it’s necessary sometimes. Also, keep your leggings on as long as possible… your butt will always look good in leggings.

Speaking about feeling sexy, the only other thing better than snuggling up with a partner in the winter is the food. Holiday festivities may leave us feeling a little bloated and anticipating a “New Year, new me.” Obviously your lover shouldn’t care about this and embrace every inch of you, being particularly grateful during the holiday season!

Another problem is that winter time can be stressful and nothing kills sexy vibes quite like stress. There are holidays, finals, family, and trying to figure out how to make it all work while keeping a little bit of your sanity. It’s a pain, and sex can help alleviate some stress, but getting to the actual act can be difficult.

The fact is that winter is the best time to cuddle and really appreciate the person you love. It’s easy to get caught up in the cold and the stress but it’s important to remember the good. It’s the season to experience the warmth of spirits and also bodies and have a good time in bed, too.

Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.
Deirdre Bardolf

Old Westbury

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" Student, 22. Long Island