From Victim To Survivor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Trigger Warning : the following article discusses sexual assault and violence

The past month has been quite an emotional one,  because this time last year I was reporting the individual that sexually assaulted me. This person took advantage of me and left me in a rubble. I was too depressed for school, for my friends and my family, and it started to consume me more and more everyday. I blamed myself and convinced myself that I could never speak of it to anyone, so I was silent for a dreadful two months, until I finally decided to report.

To anyone who may be sitting in silence like I was, I want to tell you a few things. First and foremost, it is important for you to know that it is not OUR faults at all. The system is broken, and the person who caused this damage to you, and me, is broken. Second, you deserve to be heard. Talking about this is extremely uncomfortable and you might feel as though no one will listen, but there is always someone who will be there to listen and support you. Third, it gets better. It is extremely hard to believe in the moment, but one day you will find peace in the situation, as it is what you deserve.

Healing from sexual assault, or any trauma in general does not happen in a straight line. Healing happens in no specific order, and with no recipe or formula. As cliche as this sounds, it happens overtime. My healing process from this traumatic event will continue for years. But with the help of friends, family, social workers and counselors it has been possible to move forward from something so difficult. If you or someone you know has been a victim of sexual assault, do not suffer in silence. You are not alone and you deserve to be heard.

Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.